Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pretty much stock 1968 GTO convertible, 400/4-speed. I have changed the springs all around and I'm about to install new KONI shocks all around too, but I got to wondering.... This car does NOT have a rear anti-sway bar and I am considering adding one to reduce body roll in turns. I'm curious to know if anyone has added a rear sway bar to a car that didn't come with one originally. What effect did it have? Would you do it again? Would you recommend that I do it?

I have a slight problem where occasionally if I take a right hand turn too quickly the body leans and rolls and I rub the tire on the inner fender well. The tires are 235/60R 15's on 8 inch rims and they are likely to stay. I'm hoping if I reduce the lean/roll a bit (and drive slower!) I will eliminate the rub.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

·
Registered
163 Posts
IMHO thats a wide wheel for that size of tire. How's the backspacing?
IRT the rear sway bar; I installed a 7/8 bar on my 68 with 15 x 7 Rally Il's, 245/60 tires almost 40 years ago. I also have a 1" rear bar on my 70 El Camino with 15 x 7 Torque Thrusts and 245/60 tires. While not the perfect setup they work well keeping the car from leaning too much.
Never had a problem with either car rubbing the wheel wells.

·
Registered
727 Posts
and put boxed lower control arms toooooooooooooooooo out back
with the sway bar. .if its a factory 4 speed car you probably already have the reinforcement arms between lower front bolt and upper control arm front bolts....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts