Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going with a billet specialties 18x9 (10 maybe) as a rear wheel on my 67 GTO. I like a tall tire, and my car will sit about 1-2" OVER stock height. What do you guys think about a pair of : CONTINENTAL Extreme Contact DW 275/45ZR-18 tires for the rear. 27.7" tall, 9" recommended rim, 10.7" wide. OPINIONS please.....and as always, don't be shy! :lol:............Thanks, Eric P.S. TIRE RACK has a great tire sizeing chart....pick a tire and click on "specs"!

Attachments

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Yeah, those wheels will look Awsome, they kinda have a Ralley II vibe, you might even consider some accent paint on them in like argent silver or dark silver grey. And put the "factory" style lugnuts on them with the red centers to tie in with your interior color. And maybe some cool valvestem caps..........:D

As far as tires go.......... Just the widest, stickiest possible with that badass blown IAII your running.

Something like this - Goodyear D2550 36.0x17.5-16 Top Fuel - Funny Car Drag Slick Racing Tire Compound D-2E

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ALKY, I am thinking about a red stripe and lug nuts on those wheels....as far as the tires.....a little wide for my wheel wells!:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
:agree Those are really good looking wheels, they DO have a Rallye II vibe.

Good thing you have that fancy chassis and suspension, I've got a feeling you're going to need every bit of it to even have a prayer of getting that monster to hook.

Can't wait to hear it run...

Bear

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
First time I drove my car with a set of 275 BFG T/A's I nailed it in 3rd gear at about 50 mph (with 3.55 gears) and smoke rolled in the open side windows and filled the cabin. Just sayin, ;).

The ET streets are a little better.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I just looked at your garage animal, AWESOME project. I think any wheels will look great on it! When do you think it will be completed?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The motor should be done in about 3 weeks....the body is painted and being polished out......I have all the components and hope to assemble everything this winter, starting right after the holidays (too much partying before then)...Eric:party:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
you already know my opinion on Billet Spec's, love mine....and i like bigs & smalls on a go fast hotrod, what are you gonna run up front E, 225/60R 18?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's too early to tell about the fronts...gotta get the front end set-up and the weight on it...then measure and see what I can fit.. Eric

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe 245/45ZR-18 ....if it will fit...gotta check backspacing, etc... I did hear that the continental tires are excellent ..

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Eric,

Glad to see you're coming along so far so fast! :cheers

I have 275/35/18's on the back of my 2005 and 245/40/18's up front.

The back tires hook up real nice (Toyo Proxes 4)
The front tires give me nice handling (Nitto Invo)

I have also had superior results with (I know I couldn't believe this either)
Sumitomo tires.

Just thought I would give you some practical application info based on a V8 GTO with about 400 hp.

With an upgraded suspension (I have coilovers all the way around on the 05) I have gotten GREAT results with the Toyo's. Not sure what size options they have with regard to the higher side walls. That's the only thing I can't help you with.

Good luck!
S
:cool

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks PPB !...the problem is custom suspension/stock fenders..and the car isn't sitting on the ground yet. So, I can't calculate what'll fit and not rub....I'd like to stay between 26.5 and 27" tall if I can....E

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, Nothing like custom backspacing to get the tire in the right place! ( and help empty the wallet).......Thanks Bear, post it if you come across it. Eric

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't ever go by what someone else thinks will fit. Call the boys at Driverzinc in California and they will tell you what to measure and they guarantee the fit or they will re-hoop the wheel for free. my 66 GTO took a 18X9 on the back with a 275 rear tire and it fits like a glove. That is with a 5 7/8" back spacing. A 10" would have been real interesting and probably too close for comfort. FWIW, I am running a set of the BS daggers and they are cool as hell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts