Pontiac GTO Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Premium Member
2,958 Posts
It will not be easy to replace the differential bushings. For my El Camino, I drilled a series of holes around the circumference of the bushing then knocked it out. Then with a hammer and chisel knocked out the outer shell. Thats the easy part.
The hard part was installing the new rubber bushings. I froze mine for a day or two, lubricated them and then used a 5# hammer to 'insert' them. Not much room to swing the hammer. And it's possible to break the ear off the differential if you accidentally hit it. There is a tool available to press therm in.
If using poly bushings it should be easier.
With my 68 I used UMI Roto-Joints. Lightly tapped into place and retained with a lock ring.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It will not be easy to replace the differential bushings. For my El Camino, I drilled a series of holes around the circumference of the bushing then knocked it out. Then with a hammer and chisel knocked out the outer shell. Thats the easy part.
The hard part was installing the new rubber bushings. I froze mine for a day or two, lubricated them and then used a 5# hammer to 'insert' them. Not much room to swing the hammer. And it's possible to break the ear off the differential if you accidentally hit it. There is a tool available to press therm in.
If using poly bushings it should be easier.
With my 68 I used UMI Roto-Joints. Lightly tapped into place and retained with a lock ring.

View attachment 161240 View attachment 161241
Those are expensive whats the deal with them why so much? Wasnt sure which one needs to be removed thanks.

· Registered
187 Posts
Those are expensive whats the deal with them why so much? Wasnt sure which one needs to be removed thanks.
The diff bushings are a PITA. If you have access to a lift, i strongly recommend. I love how Army does this “ On back, driveway, 15 degrees etc” lol . I bought all new UMI upper and lowers and the upper sucked A**. Not gonna lie. They were original, 52yo crap and dug in but good. Purchase the bushing removal tool online, it is huge help. Simple and cheap but super helpful. Follow the other guys advice for all the install. But damn Army, why can’t the driveway God live on the West coast!

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The diff bushings are a PITA. If you have access to a lift, i strongly recommend. I love how Army does this “ On back, driveway, 15 degrees etc” lol . I bought all new UMI upper and lowers and the upper sucked A**. Not gonna lie. They were original, 52yo crap and dug in but good. Purchase the bushing removal tool online, it is huge help. Simple and cheap but super helpful. Follow the other guys advice for all the install. But damn Army, why can’t the driveway God live on the West coast!
Thanks bro! You wouldnt have one you would like to sell ? The tool remover. I just hate buying tools for an hours worth of work then selling it for 25% of what I paid i have several tools I'll never use again. One is a oil pressure gauge I went through 3 brake bleeding kits until I got a syringe with a clear hose that worked without a bunch of bubbles. I have a hotrod master cylinder so I couldnt use one of the bottle full of brake fluid at the master cyl type. It was only $20 but it works well.

· Registered
187 Posts
Thanks bro! You wouldnt have one you would like to sell ? The tool remover. I just hate buying tools for an hours worth of work then selling it for 25% of what I paid i have several tools I'll never use again. One is a oil pressure gauge I went through 3 brake bleeding kits until I got a syringe with a clear hose that worked without a bunch of bubbles. I have a hotrod master cylinder so I couldnt use one of the bottle full of brake fluid at the master cyl type. It was only $20 but it works well.
Sure. I certainly don't need it. PM me and we can connect? I'm in PacNW area. Joe

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sure. I certainly don't need it. PM me and we can connect? I'm in PacNW area. Joe

Im Nor Cal Menlo Ct Walnut Creek 925-575-1892
Thanks Joe
They sell couple different styles on amazon the C clamp style & the double bar style. Which is yours? I havent even looked at the uppers, just finished the lowers. Havent bought them was taking some time off from a valve cover upgrade, the rockers were hitting them, so I had to do a master cyl / booster upgrade was to big for the new tall VCs, r&r heater core 2 times couldnt get it to quit leaking. About to tackle the dash gauges & lights. But I just as well get everything together so when I get the itch I'll jump into it
Dan

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I looked at the rental at Autozone they have the C clamp style of depressor is that as good than the double bar type?
Its mostly about room to work & having the correct tool obviously. Thats why Im taking my time nothing worse than starting a project realizing you dont have the right tool or parts

21 - 40 of 50 Posts