Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I change my oil about 2 weeks ago on my 05 a4 goat and seems like when I check it the oil level on dipstick is showing it's going higher. The oil level is past the full line just a little seems like.

This user here in our forums said the same thing: QOUTE: mistermike-[Tech Spec] " My engine does just the opposite. Every time I check, there's more oil than before. I have to drain it down occasionally, and sell the surplus to Amsoil. "

So is it ok or do I drain some? Thanks

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
No... what's happening is either 1 of 2 things.

1. You're not giving the engine sufficient drain down time before you change the oil. Wait 20 minutes before draining the oil after running the engine to allow the oil in the cylinder head to make it down into the crankcase.

2. You're filling/topping off your oil to the full line on the dipstick without allowing drain down time.

In any case, you can probably be a full quart over (7.5qts) on the LS block and still be ok... most automotive engines can handle an extra half no problem.

And you're also finding out why LS1GTO is a weaksauce website

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No... what's happening is either 1 of 2 things.

1. You're not giving the engine sufficient drain down time before you change the oil. Wait 20 minutes before draining the oil after running the engine to allow the oil in the cylinder head to make it down into the crankcase.

2. You're filling/topping off your oil to the full line on the dipstick without allowing drain down time.

In any case, you can probably be a full quart over (7.5qts) on the LS block and still be ok... most automotive engines can handle an extra half no problem.

And you're also finding out why LS1GTO is a weaksauce website
Hahha thanks, actaully seems like alot of activity over there too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts