Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1967 GTO Post
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am hoping I can get some recommendations on a place I can take my 1967 GTO to.
I am located in MN near Saint Paul.
It is a fairly clean no major rust it is a Cali car needs some body work on passenger quarter panel.

Thanks for any suggestions or warnings.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Hello
I am hoping I can get some recommendations on a place I can take my 1967 GTO to.
I am located in MN near Saint Paul.
It is a fairly clean no major rust it is a Cali car needs some body work on passenger quarter panel.

Thanks for any suggestions or warnings.
Get a quote, or at a minimum, a price range that you can both agree on. Don't get sucked into "well, I can't give you a price until I get into the work and see what is in there." A good shop with experience with restorations will have an idea of what to expect and can at least give you a "best case/worst case" scenario and price range. Then once he gets into it, he should call you in to explain what is needed from that point on and your options. If you don't like his price, pay him for the work done and pull the car. Don't let him do the work and finish it off and then he calls you in and hits you with a bill as you will have no recourse but to pay- Don't do a "by the hour" price tag billing agreement - you may get soaked. Get the estimate in writing even if he charges for that estimate. Better to lose some money than get slumped over a barrel and have no choice but to pay a huge bill you never intended for in order to get your car back.

Most shops are honest, but ............

·
Registered
174 Posts
There is a great GTOAA Chapter in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. If someone else doesn't come in and post the contact info I'll find it and post it. One contact that I'm familiar with is Paul Kilker. Join this club and I'm sure someone there can point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1967 GTO Post
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a quote, or at a minimum, a price range that you can both agree on. Don't get sucked into "well, I can't give you a price until I get into the work and see what is in there." A good shop with experience with restorations will have an idea of what to expect and can at least give you a "best case/worst case" scenario and price range. Then once he gets into it, he should call you in to explain what is needed from that point on and your options. If you don't like his price, pay him for the work done and pull the car. Don't let him do the work and finish it off and then he calls you in and hits you with a bill as you will have no recourse but to pay- Don't do a "by the hour" price tag billing agreement - you may get soaked. Get the estimate in writing even if he charges for that estimate. Better to lose some money than get slumped over a barrel and have no choice but to pay a huge bill you never intended for in order to get your car back.

Most shops are honest, but ............
Thanks real good advice. Now to find these places.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Yea that is an option not real helpful though
Go around to the high end car dealerships, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. and ask who they use or recommend. My buddy owned/ran one of the best repair/crash shops and had the reputation behind it - and was also an old car owner/enthusiast. All the local dealerships sent their cars to him because of the quality of his work. He did new and older cars and was never without work which employed his 8 man shop.

·
Registered
506 Posts
One bit of advice. Dont put down a large amount of money or the pay the entire amount up front. Ive seen so many people do this. What happens is the shop will spend that money shortly after you pay them on bills, rent, payroll ect. They may do some work on your car, ie take everything apart then push it off to the side. Needing more money for the next months rent they take a couple more cars to get deposits and move on to them. Knowing they have no more money to collect on your project they wont have the ability to actually set aside time finish it as they always need money coming in. If you pay 1/4 up front, 1/4 as you see work get done then pay the balance when its done, it gives them incentive to finish the project as they know they are going to collect a check when its done. Ive seen Way too many people pay up front and then end up pulling their once beautiful car, now dissambled into pieces, out of the body shop 2 years later. Then have to start all over with another shop.

Reactions: michaelfind

·
Registered
1967 GTO Post
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One bit of advice. Dont put down a large amount of money or the pay the entire amount up front. Ive seen so many people do this. What happens is the shop will spend that money shortly after you pay them on bills, rent, payroll ect. They may do some work on your car, ie take everything apart then push it off to the side. Needing more money for the next months rent they take a couple more cars to get deposits and move on to them. Knowing they have no more money to collect on your project they wont have the ability to actually set aside time finish it as they always need money coming in. If you pay 1/4 up front, 1/4 as you see work get done then pay the balance when its done, it gives them incentive to finish the project as they know they are going to collect a check when its done. Ive seen Way too many people pay up front and then end up pulling their once beautiful car, now dissambled into pieces, out of the body shop 2 years later. Then have to start all over with another shop.
Thanks
This is very good advice and should be used to weed out dishonest shops.

·
Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
1,005 Posts
Yes all good advice given. Go to people at car shows and ask who they recommend based on there experience. The more you can do yourself the better👍

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
A friend of mine ended up selling his GTO after getting caught up in one of these situations where the repair shop took a down payment and essentially told him to keep sending money until they told him the car was finished. When he realized how things were working out, he quit the deal, got his car back and sold it. Then, the most tragic part of the story, he bought a Chevelle instead :confused:. He still loves Pontiacs but couldn't afford the restoration like he had planned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the NE Twin City metro. I took my '66 GTO to St Francis Collision & Glass based on a recommendation from a friend of mine, who is a Pontiac enthusiast. They did some minor body repair and paint. I am extremely satisfied with their work.

I am also a member of the GTOAA. The website is http:www.LOLGTO.com Unfortunately the website is currently under construction. Let me know if you want additional info.

·
Registered
1967 GTO Post
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in the NE Twin City metro. I took my '66 GTO to St Francis Collision & Glass based on a recommendation from a friend of mine, who is a Pontiac enthusiast. They did some minor body repair and paint. I am extremely satisfied with their work.

I am also a member of the GTOAA. The website is http:www.LOLGTO.com Unfortunately the website is currently under construction. Let me know if you want additional info.
Thanks for the response

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts