Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Unless you live in heavy traffic area (which I do not) I don't see why anyone would buy an auto. Part of the fun of a muscle or sports car is controllling when to shift. So, I have the manual and absolutly no regrets.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I have a 6M. And even though there is a lot of heavy traffic on the freeways here in Southern Cali, I still had to have the manual, just for the fun factor of shifting. Plus I'm lucky. I drive an hour to work on open back roads with very little traffic :D . Also, I didn't want to pay an extra $1300 gas guzzler tax for the auto.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
I have a 6M. And even though there is a lot of heavy traffic on the freeways here in Southern Cali, I still had to have the manual, just for the fun factor of shifting. Plus I'm lucky. I drive an hour to work on open back roads with very little traffic :D . Also, I didn't want to pay an extra $1300 gas guzzler tax for the auto.
:agree

I'm in a simialar situation. Most of my drive is on a fairly wide-open stretch of highway, with a pretty serious section of heavy traffic. The Tremec in our M6s is a good transmission, and the torque of the V8 makes an easy-shifting car that's excellent in stop-n-go traffic.

I like to pick my own gears.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I live in Southern Cal

Groucho said:
:agree

I'm in a simialar situation. Most of my drive is on a fairly wide-open stretch of highway, with a pretty serious section of heavy traffic. The Tremec in our M6s is a good transmission, and the torque of the V8 makes an easy-shifting car that's excellent in stop-n-go traffic.

I like to pick my own gears.
Heavy traffic;;Glad I got the A4,,still screams when I get in the open,,,had plenty of manuals when I was younger, and no traffic!!

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I bought an 05 M6 but I test drove the A4 and liked it a lot. The 4L65E is a nice gearbox. I've got the same transmission in an 02 Yukon Denali. Very smooth and crisp shifts. Personally, I would have bought the A4 were it not for the $1,300 gift to Uncle Sam and 20% worse mileage.

Another consideration, I live in an area where it's actually possible to really enjoy the M6, no traffic. If you are in an urban area with crawling commuter traffic, I would personally go for the auto. But that's a personal choice each of us has to make.

I don't think either transmission is a bad choice that you'll "regret".

·
Registered
177 Posts
Deezdad...

It all depends on what you are going to be doing with yours? Are you driving in traffic, and are you planning on doing some racing on the road against people.

Obviously the M6 is going to be a pain in the balls in traffic, but as far as racing someone starting at 70 mph on the freeway, well...the auto isn't the way to go then. I have to say I love my M6.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm very happy with my MN6. I've never owned an Automatic car, and I will never buy an Auto, unless I have no choice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was just about to settle with an A4 since that's all that was left in my city. A few minutes before heading up to pick up an A4 I utilized the vehicle locater on pontiac.com. It showed there being a M6 in the same color in a nearby city. I printed it out and asked if they could get that vehicle and they did. :party:

I was very relieved having driven an M6 Formula for almost nine years now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.