Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Remote Oil Filter

10K views 46 replies 12 participants last post by  System 
#1 ·
The question has come up on remote oil filters.

I my self wanted to use a remote setup. It was not really for any of the often stated benefits, but rather, the look I was after. In doing my build, I am not using the heater or fan and want a smooth firewall look. To that, I want a more competitive street racer/drag car look and to me the remote oil filter on the firewall is that look.

If you do a web seach on what is best and which brand, etc., like all things you will get 100 different opinions and some will scare the heck out of you and you won't even consider them. Which type - dual filter or single? Tall or short filters? What size lines - 8 AN, 10 AN, or ? How long should the line be? How about attachment elbows - curved or 90 degree? Oil pressure - some say you will lose oil pressure and others won't. Oil drain-back, some say yes, some say no, and some say you'll start your engine dry with no oil.
Where to locate it - below the oil pan oil level, above the engine, on the firewall, on the fender well, ?????

Here is what I have just ordered for my build from Nitemare Performance - right or wrong. I wanted a complete kit that was a tried and proven set-up rather than cobble something together using individual pieces/parts and hope I got it right. I had a few questions which were answered promptly. I also have to trust in the person who uses and sells these or I will be second guessing myself forever and worry every time I fire up the engine and "notice" something suspicious that just doesn't look 100% right all the time.

Complete Pro Series Remote Oil Filter Setup

PJ to Darrin Magro email:

"I have never used a remote, and what I have researched on the internet has simply confused me more. Lot of opinions and I'm sure many haven't a clue what they are talking about, so excuse my ignorance.. So a couple of questions to sort through the internet BS/Myth's.

#1 . Biggest thing I read is the term "oil drain back." With the remote filter mounted on the firewall, when the engine is shut down, the oil can drain back down the lines leaving the lines dry and when the engine is fired up, bearings don't get any oil until the oil pressure builds up and wear of bearing/mating surfaces are accelerated.

#2 Location of oil filter with regards to the above. Some say it needs to be low on the firewall and mounting it above the engine will only make "oil drain back" worse. With no heater in the way on the firewall, that is about where I would locate the filter. I want people to see it, not bury it low out of obvious sight.

#3 A remote filter can lower oil pressure. I have the 60 PSI pump and I have read I may see an oil pressure drop of a few pounds. (Have a healthy iron head 455 build/TKO-600 5-speed/3.89 geared Ford 9"). Perhaps this is more due to where the mechanical oil pressure gauge reading is taken - engine or remote filter fitting?

#4 Any other considerations or pitfalls I may need to know about?"

Darrin Magro to PJ email reply:

"Most remote filter set ups got a bad rap because they are installed with really long lines with the filter attached to the radiator support and sometimes with twin filters. This set up reflects some of the issues you mentioned with this kind of set up, Ours is designed to be installed high on the fire wall, close to the motor. There is NO drain back of the filter, only of the lines, due to simple gravity. The filtration is superior and the oil runs cooler. An average of 7 HP can be expected over a standard oil housing with a stock filter. Extra clearance for headers is also a big benefit. When you first start the engine when COLD just run for the first 2 seconds at the lowest RPM possible till oil pressure comes up then you good. No issues when hot as the oil pumps quickly. The engine running for 2 seconds with no oil pressure wont do any harm as the bearings hold oil. Use Drivens HR1 Hot Rod oil, conventional based 15-50 #2 106 oil for best results. There is no oil pressure issues at all when driving or under load. We install this on EVERY motor we sell. Its absolutely the best single upgrade you can do to your oil system. Any more question please advise."

So there you have it. I am running Doug's headers so in using this set-up, the benefits are of course the oil filter clearance issues I won't have, no spilling of oil on the headers when it comes to changing filters, plus those outlined by Darrin. :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just got my filter kit. Here is what it looks like when you receive it. You have to do some assembly.

Instructions are included. There is one length of braided line. You have to cut it (die grinder & cut-off wheel) and assemble the ends. It is this way for mounting purposes depending on where you locate it. If you are not comfortable doing the cutting/assembly, you could bring the measurements and the parts to a local hydraulics rebuilder/shop. They can do this for you. I have a local shop near my workplace that makes braided steel lines as well as rubber lines.

I don't see any other issues, per say. The bracket to hold the oil filter looks adequate, but I might add/weld a couple steel diamond shaped gussets at the 90 degree bends just to give it a little more "beef" - just because I like to over engineer stuff. LOL I'll have to re-paint, but no big deal. Another alternative would even be to have the bracket made up at your local metal/fab shop using stainless steel. Use the painted bracket as your template and let them duplicate it so it adds a little "shine" to the firewall.

I am probably going to use a finned oil filter cover of sorts to match my finned valve covers. There are different styles available. I don't think I want a full cover, but maybe a partial "vaned" cooling sleeve might look good. Included a picture of one. They are available in colors as well.

Attachments

#4 ·
Funny that is a pretty basic setup for so much money....I still need to do research on other options (never heard of these guys) and would like to understand why their setup is better than others.

Reactions: ponchonlefty
#6 ·
Yep, I thought the same thing. But, I feel better knowing that all the parts are correct and matching and that the set-up is spec'd and used by a Pontiac engine builder.

There are a number of other manufacturers that offer parts/kits like Summit, Trans-Dapt, Moroso, Hamburger, etc.. Their parts are cast aluminum. These parts are machined billet, so billet is always more - and it is stronger.

I could have pieced it together as I am sure most do. Several of the other Pontiac builders offer the parts, you can easily get the hoses assembled to your specs, and put it together. Some differences in the parts, like O-ring seals versus using the factory type oil filter gasket, braided steel line versus rubber hydraulic hose, and quality ends versus hose nipples and clamps.

As I stated, I have never used one of these, and I found too many posts on other websites that had me concerned. I have too $much in my engine to chance putting together a set-up that saves money only to find out I encountered low or fluctuating oil pressure or wiped out my bearings on a banzai RPM blast.

So I am not endorsing the product, but it is what I am going to use, and feel confident enough based on a shop that has the experience that I don't have in adding the set-up. Your choice may be completely different, far less expensive, and work just as well. But the cost for me was not the objective, peace of mind and an undamaged engine were. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
I like the look of PJ's parts. I used a Moroso remote bracket and fabricated my own hoses from Fragola fittings and -10AN Summit steel braided hose. The pressure sending unit will be relocated in the future as it looks obnoxious where it is but for the time being it works. I have a 2 QT white Moroso oil filter I'm waiting to put on until after my next oil change. It will look much better with that. My oil pressure had no noticeable drop from what it was prior to going remote and I am running a high pressure pump. I think i typically see 60ish psi at idle but my memory is fuzzy there. I was tired of taking my oil filter off with a screw driver and hammer because of my headers. That was my main reason why I went remote, plus I love the look. Oil changes were never so easy.

Moroso remote oil filter bracket

https://butlerperformance.com/i-24453395-moroso-remote-oil-filter-bracket-mor-23750.html?ref=search:https%3A%2F%2Fbutlerperformance.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fq%3Dremote%2Boil%2Bfilter

Butler performance adapter plate
https://butlerperformance.com/i-24452908-pontiac-bolt-on-remote-oil-filter-bypass-plate-1-2-pipe-bpi-1011.html?ref=search:https%3A%2F%2Fbutlerperformance.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fq%3Dremote%2Boil%2Bfilter

[/url]Untitled by paradox_69_666, on Flickr[/IMG]

#11 ·
Here is a couple pis of the finned oil filter cover. I got the blue anodized one. It is too small to fit on the bigger oil filter - which I was aware of - and I simply cut the flat flange having the 2 allen head bolts you see in the earlier photo. Then I gently by hand opened up the cover by working around it to open it wider rather than just pull it open which will only spread it open at one point rather than all the way around so as to enlarge its size. I opened it up just enough to slide over the filter. Not concerned about the back side as you will only see the front side once it is up on my firewall.

I will use a large stainless type hose clamp at the base of the finned cooler to keep it from slipping down. It is not about function, it was about the look that I wanted so it breaks up the appearance/size of the big oil filter. If it helps cooling, so be it, but I did not get it for that.

Cylinder Electric blue Plastic Engineering Font
Azure Office supplies Rectangle Electric blue Cylinder

#12 ·
I looked up this thread because I keep contemplating a remote oil filter or two, maybe it would help engine temp, some more capacity and could look good if done right. So the question is since I don't have room anywhere else except removing the bug juice reservoir and mounting it there is that to long of a run, probably close to four feet ? I'm keeping the heater box and have a heater hose on the wheel well. My other questions are single or dual filters? Advantages and disadvantages? And what about the kits that thread on where the filter spins on instead of the bypass plate, if ok that would be good because my two sending units are in the original filter housing which if not I have another job relocating those. Putting the filters where the reservoir enables me to fit dual filters and even run the tall Moroso ones which would give me about 2 qts more. Would make changing the filter easier, get it away from the exhaust and not too expensive....I know it's not necessary but would make a good winter project.

#17 ·
Ya I'm concerned about that too but I have no other place, and I want to tuck the lines up under the fender and come out by the bug juice container so it's turning into almost 72". Headdmen does have those on their site, and they're 1/2" npt so maybe a little small for that run. I do have an 80 psi pump and the filter I'm running now has an anti drain back valve so idk if that would help, also I'm not planning on any 90° fittings. Trans dapt makes a spin on adapter with the inlet/oulet at 90° instead of straight down. What's the opinion of dual tall filters over one filter? I was looking at a Speedmaster filter housing that has ports on either side.

#23 ·
Let us know if you see any difference in your oil pressure.

I would also suggest adding a "kill switch" to the ignition so you can spin/prime the oiling system a few cranks of the engine before you fire it up. I plan on doing this with my set-up just to make sure I have oil in the lines/oil system prior to the engine firing up - especially if it sits for a bit. (y)

#24 ·
I will but I'm keeping this for a winter project so it might be a while, if I don't touch the gas pedal it will crank but not fire so I'll see if that will work. The filters are going where the bug juice tank is now, never have used it and might eliminate the hoses and squirters for a cleaner look.

#25 ·
The filters are going where the bug juice tank is now, never have used it and might eliminate the hoses and squirters for a cleaner look.
You all don't have annual inspections that check this stuff? In MA they check everything annually and if it was there from the factory, it needs to still work. Wipers, washer fluid, hazards, seat belts etc.

#29 ·
We actually have video cameras in all the inspection bays and those live feed to monitored screens in a state office. So, while every inspection isn’t watched live, you never know if yours is the random one they are watching. Inspection places take no chances here because of this.

#34 ·
I've got a dual remote filter and large oil cooler on the drag car with fairly long hoses. A couple things help, the hoses are -10AN and the remote filter runs the filters in parallel. There is only about a two second delay until the oil pressure builds and when it does it drops the idle down about 200 RPM. This is pushing 20w50 Valvoline VR1. I don't run the starter to prime the engine and simply let it fire and run, and bearings always look like new when we do a refresh.

I did run a similar system in the blue GTO street car but took it out when I was trying for a pure stock look in the engine compartment. About the third oil change where I had to lift out both filter and filter adapter because of the headers and scattershield I gave up and put the dual remote filter back in place. No cooler on this install because I do too much driving in cool weather. I have the filter assembly mounted on the far passenger side of the radiator support with the hose run hid between inner and outer fenders. Painted everything satin black and it pretty much disappears unless someone is really looking. Only drawback is I have to make up a form fitting catch pan out of aluminum foil to sit on the inner fender when I change out the filters since I always spill some oil when removing the filters.

Don't seem to have a photo of the filters on the blue GTO but do have some of the drag car when we were first putting it together.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Auto part

Two plate trans oil coolers with the large engine oil cooler in front of them.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Video of the drag car idling with my son-in-law checking for leaks since it hadn't been started in months. No problem with oil pressure despite the complexity.
Drag car idling

#37 ·
I ran a remote single oil filter on my '66 GTO from 1980-92. It allowed for a Ford style filter and while not fancy, it upped my oil capacity by at least a full quart. My pressure remained the same. The reason I installed it was my headers left no room for the stock filter. It made oil and filter changes a snap. While I am now a more 'stock' type of guy, remote filters, done right, can help out a bit.

#38 ·
Ok I have the remote oil filter done, the pressure is about 5lbs less at the filters from the dash gauge which is hooked to the filter housing, the pressure goes up slower than before when revved but not bad. 75 lbs cold then dropped to 25 lbs at 200° @ 800 rpms, oil temp got up to 160°, so I'll see how it does on the road in the spring. I think it came out good and I gained 2 quarts of oil.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Cylinder Machine

Watch Analog watch Automotive lighting Hood Silver

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Leg Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system
Automotive lighting Hood Flash photography Motor vehicle Automotive tire

#40 ·
Thank you for checking sir!

I'm pretty much done with her for the year. I have heat in the attached garage but it's more of a burnout thing that a cold weather issue. This car fights me at every corner. Nothing seems to go right the first time. It's also partially because I did so much at once. The driveline is close though. I still need to dial in timing and carb. That will go on the spring list of things to fight along with the following.

My new power steering pump was defective so I have a replacement from CVF to install in the spring. The current one looses it's prime when the car is shut down overnight and I need to rev for 15 to 20 seconds at startup before the pump pull pressure. I also have a small PS leak somewhere. Could be the pressure hose that was reused.

I'm not sure if something got plugged back in incorrectly but my wipers no longer work and when I tried the, the wiper motor offered me some smoke with the wipers going in high speed while the switch was on low. All worked well before it went in the shop and the connectors do have the ability to be reversed so IDK what happened while she was out of my control for 2 months.

Trans linkage was reused but less smooth that with the prior M20. Will have to get it in the air and look at that.

The PS exhaust outlet in my Pypes system could not be lined up correctly. I will have to bring it to an exhaust shop as it's now touching the rear valance and is close enough to the frame to create a vibration at idle.

Last project I tackled myself was a complete audio install. Everything went slow but decent until testing. Driver side door speaker sounds like there is grit in it at low volume. Could be manufacturing or could be something got into it while on the floor during install. That's an easy fix as JL will send me a replacement under warranty. The odd one that had me scratching my head all week is my head unit has a pop up screen. On that screen can be displayed a back up camera. I said, what the heck. For $30 I got a chrome one that disappeared under the rear bumper. Well, I've tried two of them and both only work 50% of the time. However, they are also causing an issue with my subwoofer pre-out. When ether camera is plugged into the head, the sub pre-out goes dead on and off at low volume. Such a strange conflict. Could be incompatible camera or could be a head unit issue. I'm too burned out to pull it and send it off for warranty or to experiment with a different camera so I gave up for 2022... Ambition should return in 2023 and the warranty is still good on all when the time comes...

Dakota Digital gauges are actually the one thing that went well. My wife says it's because that's the one project she helped with...

So, with so many upgrades gone wrong, I've been hesitant to post here... I'll be picture happy one all is right in the spring I'm sure...

#41 ·
Thank you for checking sir!

I'm pretty much done with her for the year. I have heat in the attached garage but it's more of a burnout thing that a cold weather issue. This car fights me at every corner. Nothing seems to go right the first time. It's also partially because I did so much at once. The driveline is close though. I still need to dial in timing and carb. That will go on the spring list of things to fight along with the following.

My new power steering pump was defective so I have a replacement from CVF to install in the spring. The current one looses it's prime when the car is shut down overnight and I need to rev for 15 to 20 seconds at startup before the pump pull pressure. I also have a small PS leak somewhere. Could be the pressure hose that was reused.

I'm not sure if something got plugged back in incorrectly but my wipers no longer work and when I tried the, the wiper motor offered me some smoke with the wipers going in high speed while the switch was on low. All worked well before it went in the shop and the connectors do have the ability to be reversed so IDK what happened while she was out of my control for 2 months.

Trans linkage was reused but less smooth that with the prior M20. Will have to get it in the air and look at that.

The PS exhaust outlet in my Pypes system could not be lined up correctly. I will have to bring it to an exhaust shop as it's now touching the rear valance and is close enough to the frame to create a vibration at idle.

Last project I tackled myself was a complete audio install. Everything went slow but decent until testing. Driver side door speaker sounds like there is grit in it at low volume. Could be manufacturing or could be something got into it while on the floor during install. That's an easy fix as JL will send me a replacement under warranty. The odd one that had me scratching my head all week is my head unit has a pop up screen. On that screen can be displayed a back up camera. I said, what the heck. For $30 I got a chrome one that disappeared under the rear bumper. Well, I've tried two of them and both only work 50% of the time. However, they are also causing an issue with my subwoofer pre-out. When ether camera is plugged into the head, the sub pre-out goes dead on and off at low volume. Such a strange conflict. Could be incompatible camera or could be a head unit issue. I'm too burned out to pull it and send it off for warranty or to experiment with a different camera so I gave up for 2022... Ambition should return in 2023 and the warranty is still good on all when the time comes...

Dakota Digital gauges are actually the one thing that went well. My wife says it's because that's the one project she helped with...

So, with so many upgrades gone wrong, I've been hesitant to post here... I'll be picture happy one all is right in the spring I'm sure...
Wow that is a lot not going smooth, I bet you have burn out. Well take a break like you said and 2023 will be here before you know it...maybe have your wife help with everything 😉

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.