Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice removing what I’m pretty sure is Gorilla Glue that dripped down on the door. It’s been there for months if not a year. Someone at a cruise and told me to use DeSolvIt, but I’m terrified it will take the paint or clear coat off the door. My car is black and the paint job is fantastic. I guess I’d rather have a drip of glue then clearcoat messing down the door on a 2 inch strip. The guy who suggested it is certain it would not harm the paint and the bottle says so too but still super nervous.
Any thoughts or suggestions? It looks like my dad was at one point fixing the weatherstripping on the wind wing and it dropped down. I also found a dot near the door handle and on the rear fender.

·
Registered
957 Posts
If it were me I would gently pick at it with my fingernail and/or a thin plastic scraper.
Might even try rubber alcohol before any other chemicals.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Believe it or not, I have wiped stuff off my cars with all kinds of stuff including lacquer thinner😱 with no issues. now brake fluid is another story.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Try these different chemicals on the paint in an area thats not visible, like at the bottom of the inside door frame.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Try mineral spirits first, if that doesn't do it then what was suggested in your first post. lacquer thinner for last. if any of these mess with your clear coat it was not mixed and sprayed correctly. Paint jobs are pretty durable. I have used lacquer thinner to take paint scuffs off of cars, clean overspray on cars. BUT like GTOJUNIOR says try it in a in a place where its not noticable. door jamb, trunk etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, if you have the patience and a soft touch you may try taping around the glue drop then with 600+ wet sand paper or a sanding stone slowly sand down the glue. Stop when you get close to the paint. If your paint has clear on it you should be able to polish out any light scratches. A body paint store may
sell the very fine grit sanding stone used for smoothing the edges when doing chip fill touch up.

1604942934132.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Need some advice removing what I’m pretty sure is Gorilla Glue that dripped down on the door. It’s been there for months if not a year. Someone at a cruise and told me to use DeSolvIt, but I’m terrified it will take the paint or clear coat off the door. My car is black and the paint job is fantastic. I guess I’d rather have a drip of glue then clearcoat messing down the door on a 2 inch strip. The guy who suggested it is certain it would not harm the paint and the bottle says so too but still super nervous.
Any thoughts or suggestions? It looks like my dad was at one point fixing the weatherstripping on the wind wing and it dropped down. I also found a dot near the door handle and on the rear fender.
I would call the manufacturer, they might be able to help.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Acetone is a great solvent a will dissolve the glue no problem, most fingernail polish removers have it as an ingredient. Always best to check in an inconspicuous area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Follow up: spoke to Gorilla Glue company. Nothing will remove it other than sanding it down. Ugggh

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you know the exact Gorilla Glue (They make several types)
Pick some up and apply it to a sacrificial painted piece of metal and experiment before you commit to the surface of the car.
It might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes great idea. I was going to put a little inside the trunk lid and see what the outcome was on the clearcoat by using mineral spirits or something.

They were nice but quick to say that nothing was recommended Only sanding would remove it but I can’t sacrifice the door. I plan to try that before I look for a trusted… Very trusted painting autobody place around the Pensacola area.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes great idea. I was going to put a little inside the trunk lid and see what the outcome was on the clearcoat by using mineral spirits or something.

They were nice but quick to say that nothing was recommended Only sanding would remove it but I can’t sacrifice the door. I plan to try that before I look for a trusted… Very trusted painting autobody place around the Pensacola area.
Mineral spirits is pretty weak. When I was trying to match the paint to my new header panel on my camaro, I would put like one or two inch strips of paint on my fenders with my fingers to see how close it was. I wiped it off with lacquer thinner. I must have done that at least ten times till I finally got it to match. Try it on the inside the trunk somewhere.
20200401_180148.jpg
Screenshot_20200403-130718_Gallery-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts