Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody on the forum removed there mufflers and put straight threw pipes.Im looking to do so but i want some info on it as if it will sound good,pick up power..please help me out

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hey man,

xcommuter started an excellent thread last week. It's called "GTO Exhaust Database for Sounds." On it you'll find a post w/ an '04 Goat w/ the muffs cut out. Sounds nice. Check it out.

·
Registered
590 Posts
i think it would be so loud you would be a magnet to local law enforcement, and the drone on the highway would make riding in your car uncomfortable.

on the other hand the car would sound like Jr. on the back straight of Talledega :D

·
Registered
531 Posts
Had mine removed last Friday and replaced with a straight second of pipe on each side. It sounds awesome. It's not too loud, and I haven't found to be a drone on the highway or attract police. The resinator box is still on, I think that gives it a nice sound and keeps it legally quiet (looks like a muffler) :cool

·
Registered
590 Posts
not too loud :eek: holy exhaust note batman. :D

after i put the cam package in, i HAD to remove resonators, to get gases out so the car would run. (or get headers, which I'll do in immed. future)

anyway, my car's loud as hell now. i can't imagine just resonators and no mufflers.

here, it would only be a matter of time before being ticketed for excessive noise.

i had state troopers roll down there window and look at me strange, just last week. luckily i was turning and they went straight.

glad it works for you. :seeya:

·
Registered
937 Posts
lowazztruck said:
i was priced at 100 for tho job...i think i might go for it
Are you cutting the tips off the stock mufflers and welding them back on the straight pipe? Or, are you putting on new tips?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
lowazztruck said:
hey gto judge is that soposed to be funny.....that i asked that

No not at all..... I'm pokin at all the fart cans I see on the road. When I read your post it reminded me of it. I got to thinking, I wonder what a GTO would sound like with fart cans on it. 4 of em. The sound of 1 is nauseating enough, let alone 4.

I do think a GTO with fart cans on the back would be funny though.....

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
westell said:
i think it would be so loud you would be a magnet to local law enforcement, and the drone on the highway would make riding in your car uncomfortable.

on the other hand the car would sound like Jr. on the back straight of Talledega :D
A few weeks back after dinner at a restaurant, I was showing the GTO to future in laws when a goof in a mustang seen me. He had what I figured was a loudmouth on his. He floored it. It was so loud it was deafening. The sound was beyond an enjoyable, and respectable note. It was downright annoying. I cannot imagine a cop not having a field day with that guy. That car was the loudest car I have ever heard on the road, including open headers. I've heard open headers sound much nicer than that.

I guess he figured he may as well make it sound as good as it doesn't look.
He failed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm removing the muffs from my GTO this weekend. Keeping the resonator, but replacing the muffs w/ 2 straight pipes and keeping the OEM pipe, hanger and tips after the mufflers. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Pennsylvania Goat said:
I'm removing the muffs from my GTO this weekend. Keeping the resonator, but replacing the muffs w/ 2 straight pipes and keeping the OEM pipe, hanger and tips after the mufflers. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hey PA Goat.... Let me know when you're headed down Marietta way. I'd love to see your ride and hear the anthem comin out of those straight pipes.

·
Registered
498 Posts
GTO judge said:
Hey PA Goat.... Let me know when you're headed down Marietta way. I'd love to see your ride and hear the anthem comin out of those straight pipes.
You got it Judge. Next time I roll out that way, I'll PM you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i talked to a local shop and they said just remove the resonators ,Becasue removing the mufflers will change the noise and removing the resonators will make it louder.Does this sound right.wWhat should i do? what do you all think

·
Registered
590 Posts
like i wrote, i removed resonators only. car got much louder but not what i am thinking you are looking for. you can always put'em back on if you remove the mufflers and find you don't like it. :D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts