Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help/advice from anyone who has removed the black body trim on the roof. I can unsnap all the way back to the rear window, but when I try to go any furthur the metal just wants to bend. :confused I am afraid to keep pulling up because the dealer quoted me like $130 for each side if I break it. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G

·
Dealer pricing is going to be the same no matter what dealer you call, they all use the same list price.

But you may be able to 'sweet talk' one of the parts guy, most of the area garages get a 15%-25% discount. You may be able to convince him to give it to you for that price.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Rob in CT said:
Dealer pricing is going to be the same no matter what dealer you call, they all use the same list price.
That's not correct. Fred Beans, an advertiser here on GTO Forum, sells parts at 5% over cost. GTO Dealer discounts as well.

Example: An accelerator pedal at my friendly local Pontiac dealer? $63 plus tax. At Fred Beans? $27.50 plus $7 shipping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
That's not correct. Fred Beans, an advertiser here on GTO Forum, sells parts at 5% over cost. GTO Dealer discounts as well.

Example: An accelerator pedal at my friendly local Pontiac dealer? $63 plus tax. At Fred Beans? $27.50 plus $7 shipping.
I concur, Jason Cromer at Sam Taylor Buick Cadillac in Ft. Walton has prices about on par with GMPartsDepot except no shipping. Got my ZZ4 for the truck through him and it was MUCH cheaper and the Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I found my local Pontiac dealer charges 30% above MSRP for parts. This helps them build profit on their repair work. I go elsewhere now to buy parts.

·
Registered
910 Posts
dhonan42 said:
The owner before me left a bunch of wax residue all along the trim and I want to use some cleaner to clean it up, but I don't want to get the chemicals on the paint.
Use a mild solvent. You can get this from any autobody supply house. Even a bug and tar remover will help. Will not harm paint. I'm in the Collision business. Trust me........ :D

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
dhonan42 said:
The owner before me left a bunch of wax residue all along the trim and I want to use some cleaner to clean it up, but I don't want to get the chemicals on the paint.
Try using painters tape to mask off the painted surface, just leaving the trim. Use a mild degreaser to remove the wax. Once it is removed, use a trim shine product to shine the strip.

That should work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.