Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the dealer today to get a qoute on a price for a couple of things. I can not believe that the dealer wants $34.73 for a stock replacement air filter! Not only that, he told me that he would have to order one! I don't like being RIPPED OFF, and I don't like to have to wait for stuff once I've ordered and/or paid for it. The K&N "filter charger" set up would pay for itself in a few thousand miles at that rate.
I have used "Foam Air Filters" in my motorcycles for years for the very same reason. I can't see spending $15-$20 and waiting for a special order every year for a new air filter for my bike. It just doesn't make sense.
I have tried to find aftermarket filters for the GTO, but Fram doesn't list a part number for one, I assume that means that they are unique enough that there isn't anything they make that can be used to fit. Brother, what a raquet these guys are running. $35.00 is gas money for two weeks, or dinner at a restaurant for my wife, 3 kids, and I.
I know I've got a nice car, and I have to expect some issues, but is it too far out to say that this is a bit out of line?

Mike M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yes that is an expensive filter your best bet is to stay away from the dealer if you can, gm's filters are made by ac-delco corp, depending on what area of the u.s. you are from the have ac-delco or factory motor parts stores, look in you local phone book and you might find a few of these stores, they sell the same parts as the dealers at discounted prices, they sell everything from filters to spark plugs to electrical componants. you can also go to a k&n for the same price, but you will lose a few mpg atleast because more air flow means more fuel to match it, more air, more fuel, more power, more money.

A

·
0 Posts
I wonder how the KN drop in filter compares in mpg with the stock air filter.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My guess is that since the K&N filter made for a 91 Lincoln LSC 5.0 H/O fits the 04 GTO, The stock LSC filter should also fit the GTO and would be available at any auto parts store. :cool

·
Registered
6 Posts
adearmas said:
I wonder how the KN drop in filter compares in mpg with the stock air filter.
I've got the K&N in mine and don't see a measurable drop in mileage. I use them for the lifespan. Part # 33-2289

1 - 5 of 5 Posts