Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the fuel tank in my '67 Tempest and trying to decide if stainless steel is necessary or worth the extra cost.

Ames offers steel and stainless steel. OPGI offers RESTOPARTS galvanized, ni-terne, and stainless.

OPGI is less expensive but I do not have much experience with them. Anyone care to share opinions and experiences regarding the tanks, costs, and Ames v OPGI?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Unless your building your car to endure many, many more years of wintery road conditions, the SS tanks are just good for looks. This does assume that you put enough miles on the car to keep fresh gas moving through the tank. Otherwise, SS would be good for keeping a tank that sits a lot from rusting on the inside.

If I had to buy a new tank, I'd definitely get the SS one at $150 more bucks, just for the look of it. I like SS and would not be able to help myself. Fortunately for my budget, my old tank was in really good condition so it just got cleaned up and painted.

I cannot say much on vendor comparisons. I have purchased all my Pontiac specific parts from Ames with no real complaints.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts