Pontiac GTO Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Anyway there was Several videos I loaded for you guys to watch. I hope I didn’t bore you! LOL I am a little confused in the whole issue. Like I said I will take the drums off now and take a video of the play in the axle on both sides.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought I mentioned it in an earlier post...when you hear BOP that's Buick/Olds/Pontiac. It's a quick way of saying "GM, but not Chevy" :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Well here’s the two videos of me pulling on the axle shafts. Ironically the one that I thought was good actually has more play. Anyway I think you guys have enough to give me a good idea what I need to do. Thank you very very much for the patience and understanding.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Well here’s the two videos of me pulling on the axle shafts. Ironically the one that I thought was good actually has more play. Anyway I think you guys have enough to give me a good idea what I need to do. Thank you very very much for the patience and understanding.
All you need to do is replace one bad drum. The runout is following the 1 bad drum. As far as the endplay goes,. As I mentioned, end play is normal, On a Chevy rear, the axles are held in with c clips, and the bearing is fixed in the housing. So the axle is free to move a small amount. With the bearing pressed to the axle in a BOP type, I worry endplay might be a problem. I hope other's might chime in and tell me if I'm overthinking it.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
All you need to do is replace one bad drum. The runout is following the 1 bad drum. As far as the endplay goes,. As I mentioned, end play is normal, On a Chevy rear, the axles are held in with c clips, and the bearing is fixed in the housing. So the axle is free to move a small amount. With the bearing pressed to the axle in a BOP type, I worry endplay might be a problem. I hope other's might chime in and tell me if I'm overthinking it.

I agree.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So you guys think I should pull both axles. Inspect them, and probably new bearings and seals. In the machine shop should be able to tell me if I have a bent axle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I’m not sure how the bearings sits inside the shaft. Is it pressed in there or is it pressed on the axle shaft?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I’m not sure how the bearings sits inside the shaft. Is it pressed in there or is it pressed on the axle shaft?
The wheel bearing is pressed onto the axle shaft. There is a retainer plate that is trapped in between the axle flange and the bearing. The retainer plate is bolted to the axle housing, thus holding the axle in place. This is why you do not have to open the differential cover to pull an axle on a BOP type. On a Chevy type, the wheel bearing is installed in the housing and the axle passes through it and is captured in the differential via c-clips.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
So not to be redundant, LOL, given I have this in an hour play in the axle shaft, in your opinion that is not acceptable and there is something going on with the axle bearing. So like I said before and you indicated a little I think, I should pull both axles and probably replace the bearings and seals and maybe even the retainer plate...

So you guys are thinking the play in the axle is not acceptable. And believe me I’m not questioning your knowledge or experience but when I bought this car 10 years ago it had a new rear end iand new transmission or rebuilt I should say. Now I suppose they could’ve just put the same axles with bearings back in it but I would think they would replace it at that time. The car was sitting for two years while it was getting painted.. And sitting through the winters not being driven, and I had two motors that I rebuilt in it so there were some downtime there. I guess what I’m asking is, if the car is been sitting a lot could it dry up those bearings and caused them to fail causing the in and out movement.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So not to be redundant, LOL, given I have this in an hour play in the axle shaft, in your opinion that is not acceptable and there is something going on with the axle bearing. So like I said before and you indicated a little I think, I should pull both axles and probably replace the bearings and seals and maybe even the retainer plate...

So you guys are thinking the play in the axle is not acceptable. And believe me I’m not questioning your knowledge or experience but when I bought this car 10 years ago it had a new rear end iand new transmission or rebuilt I should say. Now I suppose they could’ve just put the same axles with bearings back in it but I would think they would replace it at that time. The car was sitting for two years while it was getting painted.. And sitting through the winters not being driven, and I had two motors that I rebuilt in it so there were some downtime there. I guess what I’m asking is, if the car is been sitting a lot could it dry up those bearings and caused them to fail causing the in and out movement.
At this point, from however many miles away, I would buy a new drum. Verify the fluid in the differential is full, and drive it.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts