Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Does anyone have the details of what finishes, colors, paint, etc should be on a 67 TH400? I am not doing a concours restoration, but want it to look right. Any pictures would be helpful. I know that most of it is bare, but interested in the pan and other covers, etc.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Original T400 cases were raw natural alum. The original pan was natural steel, so were pan bolts. Have quite a few short tail T400's in the racks, have had nearly two dozen 67-74 short tails built over the years. On the '67, 68, 69's T400's, I've never ran across any evidence of stenciled two letter ID codes & I've had quite a few fairly clean cores that had never been rebuilt. Eventually a stenciled two letter code went on the top of the case. have examined stenciled codes on several '70 & 71 T400's. The alum ID tag on the side will have the production year, the two letter code, & an assembly number. There are reproduction tags avail with no assembly numbers stamped, but nearly all have the wrong color silkscreened background. Vaccum modulators are a slightly dull gloss black, they are the original canister style, not what one typically gets aftermarket today. Most rebuilders disassemble, clean in a spin washer, blow out, let air dry & then after assembly spray bomb the outside of the case with aluminum paint...not a fan.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts