Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post so here it goes. I am currently restoring a 66 GTO back to factory original as much as i can. the original color is barrier blue and it has a 389 tri-power, 4spd, no power steering, brakes, or air conditioning. my uncle's brother was the original owner, then he sold it to my uncle and i ended up with it after he passed. Now with history lesson is over i have a few questions about getting it back to original.
What is the correct color of the underbody, firewall, and fenderwells? The firewall has a bunch of dimples all over, why? and is anybody smoothing them out or leaving as is? It also has these weird brackets on the backs of the front seats. What are they? Thanks for looking guys, thanks in advance.

-Richard

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Welcome Richard....My Tempest custom started life in Barrier blue and now is Bahama Blue Metallic which is a nice match with a kick of very fine metal flake. Firewall and engine compartment are satin black. The firewall has all the dimples for factory mounted options to be drilled in so it is original. They make panels to smooth them or they can be filled and smoothed. Send pics of the seat brackets do not know what those might be.

1966 Tempest pictures by instg8ter - Photobucket

Brian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try and post those pics, not sure I know how! What about the underbody, what was correct in 66'? One option I am considering is a spray on bed liner tinted the same color as the body, barrier blue. I've seen other cars done that way and it looks good but it's not original. But like I said I'd like to do as much as possible, its not like I'm going to enter a concourse de elegance show, I just want it to look real close. Oh what about the inside of the front fenders, how were they originally?

Thanks,

Rich.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
underside was all black also, mine was Ziebarted shortly out of the factory and Iwasted 7 bag of course blaster sand to find out how tough the stuff is. finally just re-undercoated the few spots they missed and called it good, if it lasted 45 years should last another. Truck liner is good not sure on color. there was a rare option of red wheel well plastic inserts and i have seen a few that used red liner to get that effect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More paint questions; what color were the painted interior pieces? Doors, dash, package tray. stuff like that and any thing else you can think of. You say the dimples on the firewall are for after market accessories, like what? There are a lot of dimples in spots I don't think were for that purpose. I mean there's a lot! What would you recommend for the under body? what would be correct?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
More paint questions; what color were the painted interior pieces? Doors, dash, package tray. stuff like that and any thing else you can think of. You say the dimples on the firewall are for after market accessories, like what? There are a lot of dimples in spots I don't think were for that purpose. I mean there's a lot! What would you recommend for the under body? what would be correct?

Thanks,

Richard
Richard,

There is only one area in the interior that was painted flat (0% gloss) and that was the upper dash between the dash pad and the windshield. Everything else was 60% gloss. I painted mine base coat and added a flattener to the clear coat.

I've attached the original paint codes;

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts