Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some resto advice for restoring a classic GTO? I'm going to do one soon to replace the trans-am the some idiot ran into. How fast does a GTO run the 1/4 in stock trim? I'm looking at getting a convertable, to just cruise around in. Are they more costly to restore than hardtops? I will be able to do the mechanical/electrical stuff myself. But can someone give me tips on body work? How much am I looking at spending to turn a beater into a clean ride? And does anyone know of any GTO car clubs in the houston area with forums?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right that is an awesome sight! Definatly will be refering to that when I start.

BTW. What did a GTO with the 389 tri-power run from that factory in the quarter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just wondering what kind of performance I was looking at to start out with. Doesn't look like it'll be that hard/expensive to get one in the mid-low 13's.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
wITH THE ENGINE BORED .30 - 40 OVER AND TWEAK THE CAM, YOU MIGHT SURPRISE YOURSELF WITH HI 12'S MAYBE. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THE WHOLE KEY IS TORQUE.

·
Registered
4 Posts
GTO restoration

The cost for a restoration can vary quite a bit. Going from a "beater" to a "driver" might not be too bad. The body and paint work is the most costly. Probably 5 grand if you have someone do a fair job. But the engine will probably only be around 2 to 2 1/2 grand especially if you pull it yourself. The good news that almost any part is available from one of the catalogs, networking, or E-Bay. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts