Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those who have restored thier bucket seats, I have a few questions to ask after i describe my recent purchase. After removing the covers, foam and burlap I see a lots of hevy surface rust all over the springs but there is little to no compromise to the springs visually speaking. Does this mean I need new springs or can I just stiffen them up by tightening with cable and bull rings? Is it regular protocall when restoring seats to installing new springs and basically just use the original frame? I didnt figure on buying new springs just foams. Is it just plain dumb not replacing the springs while the seats are disassembled? Here are a few pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
if the springs still have their integrity (i assume you sat on it before you stripped it, did it feel saggy?) you have a couple options, you could sandblast and clear coat if you are a purist and think people will be checking your springs for accuracy or simply take a wire brush or wheel and get the scale off and coat them with POR15 or similar rust reformer and call it good...just my 2 cents

·
Registered
574 Posts
If they haven't lost there integrity just put some type of rust convertor on them. I have re spung one seat so far and ahve another to do. The available springs are a little heavier. Took a a few hours to completly build a new seat base. Still need to adjust it a little but turned out rather good.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They felt fair but the were ripped in the center straight through the foam. You could see the ground and the foam was brittle. That alone would produce a great loss of support even wiith good springs imho. I was really wondering if you, all or most replaced the springs when their seats were apart sotra like replacing bearings when any machine is torn down. I was also wondering about using galvenized fence paint but maybey por15 is the ticket?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have not found one post of anybody but me respringing seat. Ames sells seat bottoms for $100 bucks and I bet most buy those. I have $34 dollars in both mine... but several hours so...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
facn8me is this a kit for Abodies that is bought and you fasten them or did you buy single springs, cut and construct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts