Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pontiac dealership wants $39.99 for a regular oil change including the filter, oil, and labor. So, I transfer over to parts and they tell me the prices on the oil and filter. The filter is $7, oil is $18, so naturally labor is $15. I transfer back to service.

Incorrect.

I get a Service Advisor and he says labor is $27, provided I bring the oil and filter. :confused $27 for labor, filter is $7($6) and oil is $6($7).

Retard math? :eek:

I'm getting my wheels/tires rebalanced at a local chevy dealership. They are charging $15 for labor (which midas, meineke, monro, et al charge for labor alone) and $7 for the filter.

I can probably get the filter for $4, but it will take at least a gallon of gas alone ($3.50/gal) to get the filter and come back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
don't forget your GTO takes synthetic oil. it should cost $60 or so from the dealer if they use synthetic

The dealer made me nervous when it came to oil changes. they didn't seem to have a clue and always seemed confused when I mentioned synthetic.

I do my own oil changes now. Super easy and I know it was done right

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
don't forget your GTO takes synthetic oil. it should cost $60 or so from the dealer if they use synthetic

The dealer made me nervous when it came to oil changes. they didn't seem to have a clue and always seemed confused when I mentioned synthetic.

I do my own oil changes now. Super easy and I know it was done right
:agree

I put Mobile 1 Extended Performance in mine, around 7 bucks a quart, they say it lasts for 15,000 but I change it out after 10,000. I may go with Royal Purbple next time around. It's only about 30 cents more a quart at WalMart. Engine only burns 1 qt. during the 10k run. I also spend the extra dough on the K&N Gold oil filter (about 13 bucks). I figure since I'm keeping the oil in that long a better oil filter isn't going to hurt anything. Besides, I need the exercise and you get a hell of a workout removing that 4700 pound skid plate to get to the oil filter. I really need to get one of those aluminum skid plates, lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I only kept mine long enough to go through 1 oil change, I did it myself at a friends shop, used his lift.

Atleast doing it myself I know its done right and I still have all my bolts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Pontiac dealership wants $39.99 for a regular oil change including the filter, oil, and labor. So, I transfer over to parts and they tell me the prices on the oil and filter. The filter is $7, oil is $18, so naturally labor is $15. I transfer back to service.

Incorrect.

I get a Service Advisor and he says labor is $27, provided I bring the oil and filter. :confused $27 for labor, filter is $7($6) and oil is $6($7).

Retard math? :eek:

I'm getting my wheels/tires rebalanced at a local chevy dealership. They are charging $15 for labor (which midas, meineke, monro, et al charge for labor alone) and $7 for the filter.

I can probably get the filter for $4, but it will take at least a gallon of gas alone ($3.50/gal) to get the filter and come back.
...don't throw us away.... we can sort glass...:lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Besides, I need the exercise and you get a hell of a workout removing that 4700 pound skid plate to get to the oil filter.

Id be worried you would get the car back with the plate not on it

·
Registered
90 Posts
changing oil yourself...

Anybody know about changing your own oil and warranty issues you might have if you do? or What are some ways to document a self change? Just in case...

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealer gave me 5 free oil changes when I bought the car...I'm doin' the 1st. one at 1000 mi. just cause I can....new engines like that!:party:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't tell them until after the fact that I needed synthetic. I just wanted the cost for labor alone. Anything more than $15 is 'retarded' :willy:

I had them document that they used 6 qts of Mobil 1. Now there won't be any warranty issues. :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Anybody know about changing your own oil and warranty issues you might have if you do? or What are some ways to document a self change? Just in case...
After my headaches trying to get mine looked at, Id forget the car even has a warranty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts