Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I posted this on Performance Years also, but in case people dont see it, here goes...

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this is, but help on tracing my 67 GTO's past would be really appreciated as I'm running into a few problems in not knowing what the spec of the trans, diff, engine are etc.

VIN/Chassis No 242177B110076

The car is now the infamous purple (not sure the exact name, but originally it was more a burgandy colour). It has a mild tuned / cam'd 455ci, 64-65 Muncie gearbox with Hurst shifter (not sure if M20/21 yet), a 65 Chevelle rear end 8.2" 10 bolt running 3.73 gears. The restoration work was done to a good standard we think, has the hood tacho also.

A gentleman by the name of Jason Chisholm travelled to the US to purchase the car about 6-7 years ago (so I'm told, from Georgia perhaps), which meant the main work done to the car will have likely been 7-8 years ago. So if the original owner is still a Pontiac fan and on these forums, or you're a friend of the original owner, I'd really appreciate getting in touch to learn what the spec was of the running gear, engine etc. For example, without taking the engine apart, we dont know what heads, pistons, crank, cams, clutch etc have been used. Same for the trans - is it M20 or M21. 3.73 isnt right for the car on the faster UK roads (see my many other threads!!), so in attempting to fit eg 3.08 gears, if the car actually has a M21, this might not work without straining the clutch all the time in 1st and reverse. If it's got an M20, 3.08 will work much better - it's this sort of thing which could be expensive in trial and error without knowing the spec.

If anyone can trace the previous owner, he/she should be reassured that she's in good/safe hands.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
711 Posts
I think your effort to try to find someone who knows the car on this forum is a shot in the dark, but certainly worth a try. Good luck.

As for 3.08's and an M21... I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about the clutch life providing whoever drives it has a feels for it.

Just my $.02 worth.

Chuck

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't knock it before you try it...

Hey, you never know, (is right)! I recently found an unused New Old Stock 32-3822, (in the original wrapping, in the original box) intermediate frequency tower transformer for the 42-400 in less than 10 days of advertising for one. (I had looked for weeks for a used one, even with the whole chassis attached, I wouldn't have cared, with no luck, prior to posting "in the right spot"). Very synchronic things are happening these days, (what with the global communication system, and all :lol: ), that it really isn't all that far fetched of a request. Strange, though, that the information in question was not given to the new owner when purchased???

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I agree, especially since the car was shipped across the pond. Funny that there is zero history on the car. If it were me, I'd be talking to the guy I bought it from to get the information on where HE got it, and so on. Dig up old registrations, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts