Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I was in the market for some....wanted the nice sound and mid-range with top end gains I love from this type of mod. I bought the long tubes with high flow cats and the matching 3" exhaust from stainless works.

Quality:
Welds were awesome. TIG welded to perfection. They were so smooth and everything looked like anything could flow through there easily.

Loved the fact, that the entire system was stainless too. Living in WNY, snow belt of the NE, salt and such kill a car hardcore.

The primaries were 1.75" approx, 3" collector too. The head flange was smooth as butter and was port matched to the runners for a smooth transition.

Overall 9/10.

Fitment:
Headers fit like a glove. Sat perfectly in place and just was utterly perfect like it was from the factory. The exhaust fit great too. I thought it was a hair close in some parts, but the 3" cleared well. I expected rubbing and some minor banging, nothing. Only if I jar a decent pot hole in the road.

My car with John's camera:

I have 1 more pic of it a little more forward with the bottom of the headers, but it will not let me attach it.

Overall 9/10.

Performance:
Noticeable gains in the midrange and top end. RPMS climb a bit quicker. She seems way more responsive in the 3500-4000 RPM span. It is almost like a different car from 4K and up. Super fun on the thruway on ramps and such.Tid bit of drone at about 1800 RPMS....anywhere above that or below, no probs.

Overall 8.5/10.

Service from place ordered:
I ordered as a package deal from www.dezod.com, Paul there was great at pointing out points of help based upon what I was looking for. He told me of the time frame turnarounds, esitmated ship dates and what to expect. They even had it drop shipped from Stainless Works. Total turnaround time, because they were in between production runs was about 2-2 1/2 weeks.

Paul's service 8.5/10

Stainless Works time turnaround 7/10. (too long to wait for such awesome things)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the exact system.........and I love it! Not too loud, not too quiet.
Just did a cam install this week...........now it sounds even better!
Enjoy :cheers

·
Registered
700 Posts
BuffGTO, thank you for the review. I'm trying to get the powers that be to make a reviews section of the forums. I think the reviews that people write are VERY helpful to others who are considering different products. I'm sure your post will help steer someone in the right direction. Now if we could just get EVERYONE to write a review on EVERY part they install...
;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
All of everyone input is most helpful.I haven't bought any exhaust yet I am trying to find the right sound.I wanting a deep throaty sound.Kinda simliar to a mustang.But deeper.I have been debating on leaving stock catback and going with SW LT and X pipe.I need help

·
Registered
700 Posts
OMMMMMM! You said the "M" word!! I'm TELLING!

why would you want your car to sound like an underpowered relic from the 60s?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Their not all under powered.I have had a ton of fox bodies and also had a 01 cobra that ran a 12.9 at 106mph,with just a h pipe and CAI.I not saying I want it to sound just like mustang but A deep tone or rumble.My 01 cobra sounded awsome.It had a H pipe with 2 chamber flows.The GTO's should be throaty'er because of bigger motor.I also use to have a 71 goat with factory 455 in it.It had 3" exhaust it sounded better than any car I ever had.And I have alot of great muscle cars.But the 05 GTO I have now is a awsome car.I really love this car.I have been racing mustangs for the past 15 years.But I started out racing the old muscle cars,before I got in to mustangs.But now I am back where I started.With a GTO.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm just giving you a hard time, don't take me seriously. :)

I know what you meant, I just like to razz people every now and then, it's kinda fun. I am looking for that same sound, so if you find it, please post HOW. Have a nice evening.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
baron_iv said:
BuffGTO, thank you for the review. I'm trying to get the powers that be to make a reviews section of the forums. I think the reviews that people write are VERY helpful to others who are considering different products. I'm sure your post will help steer someone in the right direction. Now if we could just get EVERYONE to write a review on EVERY part they install...
;)
Thank you. I had a couple of cars in the past and I ALWAYS read the reviews on parts and they helped me make my decisions. I figured I would do the same others here.

Yes this GTO is one sweet ride. I love it. It sounds real nice and throaty. dare I say, almost better than a M.,.................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
baron_iv said:
;)
BTW, let me know if that is the case.....I will write a much better and more formal one......this was just a 1-2-3

·
Registered
90 Posts
:confused I just had my local muff shop put 2 flowmaster 40 series mufflers , they also took out the pre-muffler and put a x pipe into it sound nice under acceleration but back sputters loud when i'm down shifting, I don't like it. can anybody recommend a good cat back? what about headers what do you guys think?

·
Registered
700 Posts
That's a fairly normal sound on deceleration. Personally, I like it. If you don't though, you're stuck with stock for the most part, or something else which is quiet enough that you don't hear it. It happens with the stock exhaust too, it's just not as noticeable as it is with aftermarket mufflers or exhaust systems. There is a listing of various sounds of the aftermarket mufflers and exhaust systems here on the site, which allows you to hear what each one sounds like.
If you decide you want to sell the flowmasters and x-pipe, let me know, I may be interested in buying it, I've been wanting something a bit louder and haven't had time to go look for one myself. :)
Oh, and headers will further emphasize the popping sound, so if you really don't like it, you may want to steer clear of headers completely.

·
Registered
10 Posts
baron_iv said:
That's a fairly normal sound on deceleration. Personally, I like it. If you don't though, you're stuck with stock for the most part, or something else which is quiet enough that you don't hear it. It happens with the stock exhaust too, it's just not as noticeable as it is with aftermarket mufflers or exhaust systems. There is a listing of various sounds of the aftermarket mufflers and exhaust systems here on the site, which allows you to hear what each one sounds like.
If you decide you want to sell the flowmasters and x-pipe, let me know, I may be interested in buying it, I've been wanting something a bit louder and haven't had time to go look for one myself. :)
Oh, and headers will further emphasize the popping sound, so if you really don't like it, you may want to steer clear of headers completely.
could your perchance tell me how to find that listing on here? i'd sure appreciate it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The popping condition with aftermarket exhaust and or headers, is caused by running lean.
Aftermarket exhaust and or headers creates an increase in flow, which increases horsepower and request more fuel.
I had the same situation in my Bonneville when I opened up intake and exhaust breathing, the Dyno with gas analizer showed a 16:1 fuel ratio, which is very lean (ideal ratio is between 12 to 13 to 1).
The question here is who can adjust the CPU with the right fuel/air ratios?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know exactly what sound you are looking for yellowgoat1. I finally just got it on mine...only regret is that I did not do it 10,000 miles ago! Put on the X pipe and take off the mufflers and go with straight pipes. Sounds throaty and deep, no drone on hwy, and not too loud overall. Sounds a lot like the mustang, but better to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The popping condition with aftermarket exhaust and or headers, is caused by running lean.
Aftermarket exhaust and or headers creates an increase in flow, which increases horsepower and request more fuel.
I had the same situation in my Bonneville when I opened up intake and exhaust breathing, the Dyno with gas analizer showed a 16:1 fuel ratio, which is very lean (ideal ratio is between 12 to 13 to 1).
Are you sure it is from running lean?? I just sold a dodge srt-4 with a CTI 3" turboback exhaust and that thing popped tons (in a very good way). All of the srt-4s (and many other turbo cars) do it and it is supposed to be from running rich.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A tuner should be able to adjust your fuel tables

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.