Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes! When I Was A Business Manager For Auffenberg Mazda I Won A Contest. Let Me Tell You After Driving That Car Around The Track I Have A Completly New Appriacation(ms) For What Nascar Drivers Do On Sunday. It Was A Great Time But I Honestly Wouldn't Pay To Do It Again. I Averaged 121.58 Mph Around Gateway. Just to let you know there is a car in front of you to keep pace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did it at Phoenix last Dec and it was a blast. I also did the ride-along with the driver. You could really feel the g-forces in the corners. And I culd also tell that I was no where near close to pushing the car hard in the corners. The thing just stuck like glue to the track. I was only going about 1/2 throttle on the straight-aways and I could tell the engine wanted to go. The staff are really nice. They let my 5 yr old boy sit in all the cars on pit road.

It does give you more respect to the driver's for sure.

I was the fastest in my class and we lapped some slow poke.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A friend of mine who I used to race against is an instructor at a similar school in Memphis. Based on his perspective and from I've observed myself (never been to a school such as this one), here are my thoughts.

If you want to experience driving on a track at speed, have a very memorable event, go do it. You won't regret it.

If your goal is to become a better driver, spend your money on a more formal driving school such as Skip Barber (went twice), Jim Russell (went twice), or any of the other similar schools out there. :cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
I Said I Wouldn't pay To Do It Again. Mainly Because It Was A Lifetime Experience And I Have Already Done It Once. Understand, I'm Not Complaining By No Means, And It Was Very Fun. I'm Just Saying That It Was Alot Of Work To Drive A Car Around A Track. I Would Much Rather Be In My Civilized,air Conditioned, Quiet, And Smooth Riding, I Forgot Fast Gto. That Wouldn't Require Alot Of Work. After You Do It I Think That You Will Understand What I Am Talking About. Keep In Mind That I Said That It Was Fun. I Just Can Think Of Alot Of Other Things That I Would Rather Spend My 399.00 On.

·
Registered
62 Posts
LOL. AT TIMES I WISH I HAD A BETTER WAY WITH WORDS. ITS TOUGH TO DESCRIBE WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DESCRIBE WITHOUT SOUNDING LIKE A PANSY.:lol: :lol: :lol: NOW I FEEL LIKE THE AFLAC DUCK AFTER MEETING YOGI BERRA

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have done it at Daytona and it was fun. My recommendation though is that you check out Dale Jarrett's program. I did it twice at Talladega for a total of 100 laps. No pace car. The instructors ride (or pray depending on your driving skills) in the car with you. The cars were actual retired Cup cars and were a whole lot stronger. I was clocked at 185mph (best we did was 145 at Petty)! We are going to go to Lowes or Atlanta next time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did it at Orlando 5 or 6 years ago. I'll echo most of the previous discussions. I did 30 laps in three sets of 10 which was a good deal at that time. I found the car to be tougher to control on the first set of "warm-up" laps, which are relatively slow, than it was at higher speeds. Once you got up to speed it was actually much easier. Originally a little concerned about the lateral G's and sliding off the track, but then I figured if the "pace" car in front of me is sticking I shouldn't have any problem. My "Pace" car was one of the Craftsman Truck series racers and I could really run right up on him coming out of the turns. It was a blast - the only problem is it just wets your appetite for more!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.