Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so new timing cover came in for the 428 in the 73 lemans & iii actually got the crank bolt & everything off by my-120-lb-self lol BUT SO iii tried my best to cover the timing chain and the open pan area while scraping the old gasket off, but iii forsure got a few shavings on the chain and down in the pan, no big chunks though. My question is what can iii use to "rinse" the chain and pan ? And then maybe open the plug and let it flow out the bottom? Before iii put The new timing cover back on.
Appreciate all the game everyone on this has helped a bunch. iii went from knowing nothing about an engine to doin my own work in No time
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Gear Motor vehicle

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't tell if your dots are lined up at 12:00. Bothcrank and cam dots at the top. Could probably use diesel until it clean and drained out the pan.
I can't tell if your dots are lined up at 12:00. Bothcrank and cam dots at the top. Could probably use diesel until it clean and drained out the pan.
haven't moved the timing chain at all ! & truee

· Registered
493 Posts
You have an air compressor? Stuff a rag between pan and block and blow what little remains out of the chain. It actually looks clean enough and I wouldn't be worrying about it. Oil filter will pick up whatever small remnants get by you.

Best to replace the O-ring in the manifold since it will be flattened and the new timing chain gasket will start life thicker than the old compressed gasket and hold the timing cover farther away from the O-ring.. At least apply a liberal amount of Ultra Grey to the O-ring if you attempt to keep it. I'll use Ultra Grey on both sides of the new timing cover gasket also.

Best to pull the hollow dowels out of the timing cover and stick them back in the block. The dowels usually will sit almost flush in the cover but if placed back on the engine will stick out enough to properly align the gasket and the cover.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
As mentioned,... blow the chain out and use diesel fuel (or kerosene) to flush the pan a few times (filtering in between each flush). If you want to take extra steps, quickly pour filtered used oil back in from the front (under the timing chain) and just let it run out the drain hole (no plug). Then use a paint filter or a piece of t-shirt to filter the oil to see what you got out. If you see bits in the filter (t-shirt)...run it though again until it filter's clean. Try putting the plug in for the last time which will fill the pan and help grab anything that stuck to the walls, then pull the plug and see ig anything more filters out. That's the best you can do without pulling the pan and should be just fine. The diesel should do some dissolving of the thicker settled crud and following with the oil will help carry any floaties out along with diesel remains.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts