Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Of course not. Why make a sticky to honor one of the greatest legends in automobile history.

Dumb idea
Nope....

There is no sticky for John DeLorean
NO sticky for John Sawruk
NO sticky for Paul Zazzarine.

They were the Pontiac and GTO pioneers... Why a sticky on a Pontiac forum for a Ford guy but not GTO and Pontiac Guys? Dumb Idea?

No one disputes what Shelby meant... I don't think its a dumb idea NOT to sticky it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mr. Shelby was one of the greats...although a Ford guy...he still will be missed and has definately left his mark on the car industry! There will never be another one like him, that's for sure! RIP.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Mr. Shelby was one of the greats...although a Ford guy...he still will be missed and has definately left his mark on the car industry! There will never be another one like him, that's for sure! RIP.
His unselfishness was evident at B.J. year in and year out... his legacy will live on there too.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Nope....

There is no sticky for John DeLorean
NO sticky for John Sawruk
NO sticky for Paul Zazzarine.

They were the Pontiac and GTO pioneers... Why a sticky on a Pontiac forum for a Ford guy but not GTO and Pontiac Guys? Dumb Idea?

No one disputes what Shelby meant... I don't think its a dumb idea NOT to sticky it.
Actually Judge, I think you are on to a great idea. How bout a thread for our lost industry "pioneers" with their names, dob,dod and a short list of thier accomplishments to preserve their memories for posterity. Hot rodders and car guys get some recognition in our hobby but few have the identity of Mr. Shelby. John DeLorean unfortunately let one thing tarnish his career and that is all (non-Pontiac) people will remember. I still remember the "Coke and a smile" poster with the Delorean car in the Alps :lol:.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The name will live forever

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
:agree While I understand the logic of saying he was -mostly- a Ford guy, honestly I think Carroll Shelby's contribution to the automotive world transcends any brand afilliation. Don't forget he also spent some time with Dodge (remember the Shelby Chargers?) and was a performance consultant on the Viper. In fact I'm betting the name "Viper" was chosen out of respect for him and his involvement with the project.

Then too, if you're familiar with the story, his earlier association with Ford mostly began because he wanted to build a Corvette killer with the Cobra and was looking for a lightweight powerplant to put into his car based on the British AC Ace, and Ford was the only company other than Chevy who had an engine that was a good fit for what he was looking for. He made his choice based primarily on how well the engine fit is needs. It wouldn't exactly do to put a Chevy engine into a car that was supposed to be a Corvette killer, so based on what was available at the time, that left Ford. He was a no B.S. kind of guy. There's a legend that during a meeting when "everyone" was arguing about what to call the first "Shelby enhanced" Mustangs, he finally got enough of it, told someone to go step off the distance between the production shop and the race shop, and when the report was "350 feet" he said "We're calling it the GT 350 and that's that.".

If you look at his driving career, he spent time driving Cadillac-Allards, Aston Martin, Maserati, Austin-Healey, and even at least one Ferrari. The year he won Le Mans it was in an Aston Martin.

There are others whose contribution transcends brand affiliation, like Smokey Yunick, for example

I guess I'm saying I would have any problem with honoring Carroll Shelby the man, regardless of brand ---- but of course that decision rests with the folks who pay to run this place :)

Bear

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Actually Judge, I think you are on to a great idea. How bout a thread for our lost industry "pioneers" with their names, dob,dod and a short list of thier accomplishments to preserve their memories for posterity. Hot rodders and car guys get some recognition in our hobby but few have the identity of Mr. Shelby. John DeLorean unfortunately let one thing tarnish his career and that is all (non-Pontiac) people will remember. I still remember the "Coke and a smile" poster with the Delorean car in the Alps :lol:.
That will be up to Randy to decide. I don't mind eulogizing those who made these cars what they are but for each to have their own sticky would consume a lot of space on one board. Randy can make the call.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I'm pretty sure Mr. Shelby went to Chevrolet first but was refused an engine...it may be just legend (and Mr. Shelby was a legend magnet) but after his presentation, Ford gave him two engines to get him the heck out of there...

Like many of the Giants...he was connected with several car companies...Drove for Maserati and Aston Martin...Ford, of course...Oldsmobile for a time (Shelby Series 1)...the Dodge Omni GLH (Goes Like Hell)...he touched and improved many more...RIP...

Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
This should be a sticky. A legend was lost today.

RIP old timer. There will never be another like yourself.
That will be up to Randy to decide. I don't mind eulogizing those who made these cars what they are but for each to have their own sticky would consume a lot of space on one board. Randy can make the call.
I think it would be a great idea;

http://www.gtoforum.com/f7/late-great-automotive-legends-37690/#post307975

1 - 18 of 18 Posts