Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1968 GTO with the original 400 engine in it with a 4-speed. I had it rebuilt a couple years back, runs strong, and was curious to know if this number I pulled off the Rochester Quadrajet #17054905 , is from a mid 70's Chevy? If so, would there be a benefit of putting a more correct numbers Rochester for the year '68 or is that going to be pretty much a wash? Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm no expert at all on numbers. And I certainly don't know anything about service replacement numbers.

But I thought that if the next to the last digit of the number was a 0, that meant it was a Chevy number.

Thought Pontiac had be a 6 or 7.

Would have thought that carb would have a Chevy style side inlet. I do know that a few Chevy truck carbs had a front inlet.

So, somebody please post a link to a GOOD site listing correct service replacement numbers. Thanks !

This site shows a pic which is obviously a Pontiac carb. Has front inlet, slashed vent tube, and Pontiac style throttle lever, from the late '60's-early 70's time period.

http://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=17054905

So my question is: If you wanted a Chevy style side inlet service replacement Q-jet, what would the next to the last digit be ? Appears that "service replacement" carbs used a different numbering system than production line installed Q-jets. Again, who has a link to a GOOD site which lists service replacement numbers ??????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts