Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've identified my carburetor, a Rochester Quadrajet #7028268. It sits on top of a 1970 400 ci engine. The carb is in rough shape as it's sat for 22 years without running. The choke doesn't work, idle speed adjustment screw barely turns, accelerator pump sticks, etc. First time I've rebuilt a carb, but after watching 3 part series on Youtube, I've already learned a lot and I'm ready. I ordered rebuild kit and a new float. Beginning tear down today. Any advice on what type of cleaner I should use on the base plate, main body and air horn? I saw a different video promoting muriatic acid + soda blasting. I don't think I want to go that in depth. Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
The first carb my son rebuilt was a Qjet and it turned out good. What he used to clean his with was good old Pine Sol from the supermarket. It's not a perfect cleaner but for the first soak it worked very well. He used fifty percent water fifty Pine Sol then soaked everything for a good day. You'll still need to brush it and some fine cleaning after but we couldn't complain for the price. Also search on youtube for "Tyler's Forgotten Car Rescue". He's a little long winded but has a number of Qjet videos that have helped us.

Jim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first carb my son rebuilt was a Qjet and it turned out good. What he used to clean his with was good old Pine Sol from the supermarket. It's not a perfect cleaner but for the first soak it worked very well. He used fifty percent water fifty Pine Sol then soaked everything for a good day. You'll still need to brush it and some fine cleaning after but we couldn't complain for the price. Also search on youtube for "Tyler's Forgotten Car Rescue". He's a little long winded but has a number of Qjet videos that have helped us.

Jim
Thank you Jim! Have a great Thanksgiving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts