Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me the correct sequence for torqueing my rocker arms? I know 20 ft/lbs but I know there is some sequence.
thanks (super thanks) as always :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
That article is a good idea but it also matters if you are just putting the engine together or if its already together. If the engine is just going together the very best way to adjust the rockers is with the valley cover off you can see the cam. With the cover off you can see the cam as you turn the engine over. That way when you have the lifter your adjusting , you can see it on the base circle. With the Poly-loc backed off a bit you can turn the push rod in your fingers, when the push rod has a little drag on it so when it turns with a bit of pressure thats where you stop. Hold the nut part of the poly-loc with the wrench & tighten up the allen nut on top of the nut. By the way you have to use a set of poly-locs to do this. Now with the allen screw almost tight, turn the nut part of the P/L 1/2 turn. Then tighten the allen screw all the way. Use your wrench to snug the nut down just a bit more maybe another 1/8 of a turn so the nut is tight. Then go to the next lifter & then the next until all are done that way, then your done. Put the valley cover on & your lifters are all adjusted & ready to start the engine up to break it in. Aslo before I forget make sure that when you install the lifters in place & the push rods & rockers all have a good mollie lube on all the surfaces so you won't be starting it up dry.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
The instructions on the PSP site are great as long as you've got a stock, or near stock cam and valve train. If you've got a cam with longer duration, the safest way to make sure you've got each lifter on the base circle of the cam requires you to make two complete revolutions of the crank. Remove both rocker covers, take a big wrench and socket on the crank snout bolt and turn it over by hand until you see the exhaust valve on #1 cylinder just beginning to open. Adjust #1 INTAKE valve. Turn the crank untill you see #8 exhaust just starting to open - adjust #8 INTAKE... and so on, one at a time in firing order sequence until you have adjusted all 8 intake valves. You are now half way done. Turn the crank until you see #1 intake open fully and just beginning to CLOSE. Adjust #1 EXHAUST valve. ... repeat in firing order sequence until you've done all 8 exhaust valves.

Easy peasy. :Angel_anim:

Bear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts