Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 69 vert and I have been working on all the big issues for the past couple of years. Now I am starting to focus on the little things. I noticed my car was ordered with the light group, but I never saw a wire from the trunk lid. I found it tucked inside the bracing. So, I have a orange wire with a connector from the harness to the taillights. The wire I pulled from the trunk lid is blue and has a white connector that plugs into the orange wire.

Here is where it gets weird. I have 12v constant power at the orange wire. When I plug in the blue wire, I have power to the other end by the light bulb holder. Removing the bulb, I have power at the receptacle, and I can tilt the receptacle emulating the closure of the trunk lid and when closed, I have no power. Tilt the bulb holder up and I have 12v. So that tells me the mercury switch works. But, I cannot get the bulb to light. I even attached the bulb holder to the trunk lid to ensure it was properly grounded.

I don't get it. Power all the way to the socket, but the bulb won't light. It has to be something simple that I am not getting.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
Try running a temporary wire from the socket to a known good ground. If the light works, then you know that you don't have a good ground at the trunk lid.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure it is the correct and/or a functional bulb?
No worries Junior. With all the crap available to us, that is not a ridiculous question

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Genius! You know the other night, I thought of this and thought I should run a wire from the socket to the trunk latch, but it was late, I was tired and then I just forgot. Your comment reminded me of that so tonight I tried it and viola! It works. I guess there is too much paint between the socket mount and the trunk metal.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts