Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and anyway Rick Cooper lives by me. For those of you who do not know of Rick, he is #4 Ranked IHRA Top Fuel Driver. Anyway he owns a 2001 Saleen S271 with a ProCharger so we got together for some lunch and took each other for a ride in our cars... Take a look at what he posted about my GTO.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_841726/tm.htm

:cool :cool :cool

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
OK. I understand these guys are Mustang guys and all. But they are honestly talking like the Cobra can beat us off the line, in a 20 roll, and on a 40 roll. That seems rather odd since every time I line up next to a stock one he sees my tail lights. Now with mods they take me, but then you are talking about totally different cars.

I dunno, the cobras I have lined up against and personally drove, just do not impress me.

Now I have driven one Saleen. I think it was a late 90's car. That was a scary fast vehicle to drive. Course it was modded.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I got a local kid talking sh*t in a modded Cobra, says he's making 463 rwhp, we'll probably race this Saturday night..... I'm gonna take his money. :D

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
463rwhp? Whoop tee dooo... FatBitch will be eating steak this weekend.

Assuming the snow goes away.

BTW - It is raining like crazy down here. Keep your bad weather up north please

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
dealernut said:
463rwhp? Whoop tee dooo... FatBitch will be eating steak this weekend.

Assuming the snow goes away.

BTW - It is raining like crazy down here. Keep your bad weather up north please
Supposed to be in the mid 50's all weekend, the ice is almost melted down here. :cheers

·
0 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Supposed to be in the mid 50's all weekend, :cheers
ok you need to not say the temp i get upset when i see u'll have 50 and i got 5 wtf

·
Registered
24 Posts
big_mike said:
ya know, that really IS what your z06 looks like. lol
If you were talking about that pic in my sig, yeah, that is my car, friend of mine took the pic as I was launching but for some reason, it appears there is no driver, thought it was pretty cool pic. :)

B

·
0 Posts
ya know, I have always liked that color!

by the way, you may or may not know him, but whatever happened to ........... crap, forgot his name. He had a black Z06, Cartek NA motor, ran 10's... little skinny dude.

·
Registered
37 Posts
LS2FAST said:
and anyway Rick Cooper lives by me. For those of you who do not know of Rick, he is #4 Ranked IHRA Top Fuel Driver. Anyway he owns a 2001 Saleen S271 with a ProCharger so we got together for some lunch and took each other for a ride in our cars... Take a look at what he posted about my GTO.

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_841726/tm.htm

:cool :cool :cool
S281, no such thing as 271.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I ran an 03-04 Cobra at Gainesville. Can't remember the year, but I think it was an 03. He was bone stock and it had 6,000 miles on it. We cut almost identical lights and both had real low 2.0 60's. He took me to the 330 I caught him at the 1/8th. I beat him but it was real close. I think it was 13.15 vs 13.21 and he had 1.5 mph more speed. Another 100' and he had me, but we both guessed that at about 130 mph it would have changed again.

He said he typically ran 12.9-13.0, which was about where my bests were at. All in all it was just a basic good race. In reality either one of us could have won it, I just happened to this time.

As far as the Saleen goes, those thing are very well put together. They really handle well too. I'm just not a Ford guy anymore so in any Mustang /GTO case, I'd have to take the GTO. I still respect the Ford guys, and you can really tell how hard they work to make their cars go fast. Shame they still get beat by F-bodies and GTO's for how hard they try. LOL.

B

·
0 Posts
Im not a fan of any one manufacturer but AM a fan at anyone who tries to make their car faster for their own entertainment.

For example, take a fox body 302, poke and stroke it to a 347, add a twin turbo setup, and you got yourself 800 daily driven hp and 10 second ET's all day long. All for under 10k, installed. So if you know your stuff, you dont try real hard to be competition, you just are. :D

Just like the GTO guys here. I know some heavy hitters here have the bank to make their cars quick, and daily driveable, but Steve seems to be the only one taking that leap.

Yall gotta realize, the ford guys can get high hp for cheap, the GM guys cant. So to say the ford guys are underpowered is a way for them to come back in a week or two and walk over you like your a fiat. :D

I am just saying, never underestimate your opponent. No matter WHAT they drive.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I kinda got things backwards I think. In the 80's and early 90's it was more expensive to make a Ford go fast than a GM. I was into Ford's then. I switched just about the same time it started to be real cheap to make large HP from the Ford. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
big_mike said:
Im not a fan of any one manufacturer but AM a fan at anyone who tries to make their car faster for their own entertainment.

For example, take a fox body 302, poke and stroke it to a 347, add a twin turbo setup, and you got yourself 800 daily driven hp and 10 second ET's all day long. All for under 10k, installed. So if you know your stuff, you dont try real hard to be competition, you just are. :D

Just like the GTO guys here. I know some heavy hitters here have the bank to make their cars quick, and daily driveable, but Steve seems to be the only one taking that leap.

Yall gotta realize, the ford guys can get high hp for cheap, the GM guys cant. So to say the ford guys are underpowered is a way for them to come back in a week or two and walk over you like your a fiat. :D

I am just saying, never underestimate your opponent. No matter WHAT they drive.
I agree that you can never under estimate an opponent. And most mustangs have the ability to be very fast. But for that matter any car is fast with the right set up/driver. I have seen M5's beaten by camaro's before becasue of the right driver.

I personally think there are certain car that have incredible foundations on which to build on. Not just engine but frame, suspension, overall weight, etc.

But I will argue about your 800 hp daily dirver. Only becasue I had an old 88 GT that was bored, cammed, blown, and NOS(100 wet shot). The car was a 10.5 car consistent. But to get the power to the ground I had 345 Dr's, sub frame connectors, traction bars, liquid drag shocks. All of this made the car a ****ty daily driver. I know that because it was a daily driver. You could carry no liquids in the car unless they were hermedically sealed. I once busted a gallon of milk accidently because I forgot it was in the trunk and decided to race a T/A. :lol:

BTW Mike it was an auto. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts