Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out my engine compartment on the new goat. Looking at the air filter box and how hard/easy it would be to replace the air filter. I noticed the one screw (one closes to the front fender) seems to be under the fan cover. Is there a trick to unsrew this one (maybe a offset screwdriver or something?)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Figure I would answer before some one decides to reply with a sarcastic answer. You have to admit you are setting yourself up with such an easy question. It will take an offset screwdriver and you only turn until it loosens on all three bolts then you can lift the box. If you try and unscrew it all the way you will hit the shroud. Not being "arse", but i've posted harder questions that some of these guys don't even bother to answer, and they have been rude on occaisions. There are a select few who are knowledgeable and courteous. Take care and enjoy GOAT.

G-Greatest
o-of
A-All
T-Time

·
Registered
455 Posts
Slight derail but...
I'm surprised, Goatfarmer, about your experiences. One thing I've always appreciated on this board is that I've been able to get help that isn't rude, even when my technical knowledge of cars is not great.

Perhaps you ran into one of the short-lived trolls? Or maybe it was the particular question or how it was phrased?

I was a bit worried about posting at first as I do know some boards will trounce on people who don't have full-blow mechanical knowledge, but this board has been pretty newbie-friendly to me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answer. That is what I was thinking but was not 100% sure.

I would hope that you can ask any question here. Thats what these forums are all about, learning and sharing and hanging out. I'm to old to worry about what questions I will ask, I'm just goin to ask.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats the best way to do it.(Just ask). I've posted several forums where no one answered but its like you said...I just ask anyway. I love my car and this is the only place I know to get the info I need. I'll always be here to answer what I know though. Hope all the best to ya!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is pretty tight on that one screw, I'll have to make a trip to Sears and look for the right srewdriver. I guess that means I'll have yet another reason to drive my goat and go to Sears. A double, nice.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Easy

Just take a flat head screwdriver and carefully pri up (lift) screw that retains air induct. Very simply pull out and you can move over enough to hit screw directly. Replace by inserting outer rim first then push in retainer.:lol:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
aintmisbehavinn said:
Just take a flat head screwdriver and carefully pri up (lift) screw that retains air induct. Very simply pull out and you can move over enough to hit screw directly. Replace by inserting outer rim first then push in retainer.:lol:
Thanks for the reply, sounds easy. I'll give that a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.