Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a popping/clanking sound coming from what sounds to be the front right tire area of my '06 gto when i turn sharply at slow speeds going into driveways with an incline or recess. did it since i 1st got the car but thought it had to do with the sport suspension and low travel distance of the shocks and what not. anyway, called the dealership and asked them if my struts were going bad cuz i've heard so much talk about this, or front stabillizer link, and dealership claimed they had no knowledge that such a problem with the struts existed. the dealership then asks me if i modifed the car, changed the rims and tires or anything. i'm thinking, ok, they are trying to see if i might've done something to the front end that may get them out of having to fix it. i told them no, got the factory 18" rims and tires. he said ok, changed the intake or anything? i told him ya that i put a k&n aircharger cai on it and he said it voided the warranty. i called the other dealership that is about 20 miles further away, they never asked any modifications questions and i didn't volunteer the k&n info. i printed out the magnusson-moss warranty info i got from the forum posts. if i bring this paperwork in, does this gaurantee that they will look at my struts/front end for free? or can they still say no and i have to take action in some other way? last i checked, a rubber tube and filter have nothing to do with a front end clanking while turning at low speeds...

·
Registered
32 Posts
The CAI has nothing to do with you strut issue. I'd find another dealer. That kind of stupid response is the reason people don't like their local dealer...if our dealership gave that kind of an answer I'd be kicking them. They get paid by GM to fix your car....just fix the car. IDIOTS!!!

Just my 2 cents. :cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Another dealer as already posted... That dealer is a POS... And by the way, what dealer is that so that others might be aware and steer away from them in the future. That is BS...

·
Registered
57 Posts
got a popping/clanking sound coming from what sounds to be the front right tire area of my '06 gto when i turn sharply at slow speeds going into driveways with an incline or recess. did it since i 1st got the car but thought it had to do with the sport suspension and low travel distance of the shocks and what not. anyway, called the dealership and asked them if my struts were going bad cuz i've heard so much talk about this, or front stabillizer link, and dealership claimed they had no knowledge that such a problem with the struts existed. the dealership then asks me if i modifed the car, changed the rims and tires or anything. i'm thinking, ok, they are trying to see if i might've done something to the front end that may get them out of having to fix it. i told them no, got the factory 18" rims and tires. he said ok, changed the intake or anything? i told him ya that i put a k&n aircharger cai on it and he said it voided the warranty. i called the other dealership that is about 20 miles further away, they never asked any modifications questions and i didn't volunteer the k&n info. i printed out the magnusson-moss warranty info i got from the forum posts. if i bring this paperwork in, does this gaurantee that they will look at my struts/front end for free? or can they still say no and i have to take action in some other way? last i checked, a rubber tube and filter have nothing to do with a front end clanking while turning at low speeds...

Front stabilizer linkage, or bushing, whatever they call it. But that sounds exactly like what happened to mine. The struts going out doesnt make that type of sound, but the stabilizer link sure does. DO NOT DRIVE IT MUCH, get those links replaced by a competent dealer, not those jerk-ass dealers just tyring to piss away business. I dont know what their problem is.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Judging by their response, they are looking for reasons not to work on your car. It could be that they are intimidated with the mechanics of the car and are not capable of repairing the issue.

They may not want to look foolish if the problem is not repaired, and lack the personnel to do so, so they'd rather look foolish by blaming this obvious defect on an item that has nothing to do with your issue.

This is their way of passing you off to someone else.

One may think they should be able to work on this car, but maybe they lack confidence in their mechanics. Me personally, I'd enjoy going head to head with that clown.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a question about your CAI. Did you notice the 15 HP gain that K&N claims? I don't see how it can void your warranty. I am thinking about the CAI but have reservations about the 15 HP, seems like alot of HP for an intake mod.

·
Registered
56 Posts

My dealer tried the exact same thing on me. I contacted an attorney about the Magnuson Roberson( believe thats right )
and was told to ask the how my CAI was directly related to the problem I was having. At first they blew me off but then I told them how I got my info.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
off topic but i came from the dealer today after a got a mess to return the renter car and come get mine (06 sv6) it is ready. i turned in the renter and they drop me off at pontiac. got my car and made sure it was fixed :willy: :willy: :willy: still not working. i went back in and said is some one playing a joke on me. i gave it to you to fix the radio and its still no working after i get a call to say its done.:rofl: well iam back in a renter:party: i still have my goat tho

·
Registered
123 Posts
If it were me I'd be bringing the Magnusson-Moss print to the original dealer and make them explain how a clicking sound in the front end could be related to a CAI. Then when they agreed to fix it I would tell them to go pound sand while you take it to a different dealer that doesn't give you the same line of crap.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It's this kind of B.S. that makes me take all they hype about their new 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on ALL cars with a grain of salt.

You can warrant a car for 100 years, 1,000,000,000 miles if you never intend on working on them.

What's especially troubling is if they had a brain, they would know that all the current GTO owners are probably the most likely audience for the new Camaro, and still they only want to screw over their customer base.

Amazing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
What a bunch of dumbasses. That's like saying your battery caused a rear tire to go flat. I usually force them to explain in just how does something unrellated void the warranty. Most of them fail under the pressure of logic.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I actually told my Service Manager at the dealer I was planning on putting on
a CAI, and ask him about the warranty. He said the CAI would void the
warranty for the MAF sensor if it were to go bad. But, he also said to
just put the OEM intake back on if I had to bring it back in and they would
honor the warranty even on the MAF sensor. There is a lot of disparity between
service departments. I actually shopped service departments as well as best
price before I bought my Goat. I'm glad I did...Still sitting on pins and needles
with the Strut issue...So far so good though...It's a Jan 06 build with 800 miles.
:party:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Jan build too with 1800 miles. So far so good. I hope I am good to go. Every little minor front end creak and moan I am underneath looking with a flash light. What a way to spend my money and time. At least its not a clinical paranoia!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2nd dealer was cool/BAD STRUTS

The 2nd dealer didn't say anything about a void warranty for having the K&N intake on there. They found the problem to the noises I was hearing. Sure enough, bad struts. There might be some damage to the stabiler link/bushing as well, don't know yet. Said the struts were leaking and the whole 9 yards. the struts were on back order but the guy thought that they had just released some more and ordered me some yesterday. He's suppose to call me around the middle of next week with the new struts (hopefully). Anyways, I got 6500 miles now on my '06 (built in Jan.) but noticed this problem a long time ago but thought that it was a normal sound i was hearing. after finding out about the gtoforum and reading some posts on here, i got brave and took it to the dealership. I hadn't heard about any strut issues and neither did the first A-hole dealership i took my car to that wouldn't honor my warranty for the struts because of the K&N intake. Thanks guys! The Forum rules! P.S. the dealership is only charging me 60 bucks to put my Auto Cross grill on, was thinking about doing it myself but wasn't excited about taking the whole front fascia off. So if anybody is thinking about that optional grill but afraid what it might cost to have it installed, with the 60 bucks labor, i'm looking at 320 bucks out the door. got the grill from pfyc.com for 260, but others having them and are always changing prices

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.