Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find the best, easiest but safe way to route the wires away from heat and or getting pinched.
It is a 400 with long tube unknown brand headers.
I will be using a mini high torque starter.
I can't use the factory heat shields because of the style of headers. The one on the motor mount or the one that gets mounted to the head bolt stud.

It seems like there should be enough room along the side of the oil pan under the motor mount but above the cross frame. (Where the original fuel line gets routed.)

I was thinking if I put the wires in some fiberglass heat wrap sleeve claiming of reflecting 600 degrees continues and 1100 intermittent. I don't actually believe these numbers but if it's around 300 or so maybe it would be good?

Any thought or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Helmet Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Water Helmet Automotive exterior

·
Registered
199 Posts
All my cars have the wires going down the side of the engine. Pontiac did it from the factory for the RA/HO cast iron exhaust so they also thought it was a better idea. Factory used a horizontal tube that attached to the engine mount to run the wires through, but I have left them routed across the top of the engine mount for thirty years without an incident. A few nylon ties can be added to keep them in place.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did buy the horizontal version of the tube but still wouldn't be able to use it because it would be right on top of the header tube.
Now if they made a tube that would mount to the oil pan bolts that would be perfect.
But I should be able to tie with zip ties and or even use a tubing clamp on one of the factory holes for the fuel line but was just concerned about the oil pan temp if it is touching it.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
This is what I used around the starter wires and a peice between the starter and manifold, clamped it in the bolt hole that the original tube used with one of those rubber lined circular hose clamps.
Light Automotive tire Font Line Automotive lighting

·
Registered
973 Posts
I used the gold version of the heat shield that Baaad used. Either one should be fine. I went with the gold because it's good up to 800 degrees which is probably overkill.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went along the oil pan and used the RobbMc starter with clockable solenoid. Made it much easier to run the wiring
That's the starter I got too. I have not rotated it yet. I just got it up there as it was shipped. Once I route the wires I will see if if could be in a better position.

·
64-67 Expert
8,840 Posts
A modified version of the ram air tube with the ram air harness would work. Instead of zip ties, I would be inclined to use the steel clips that are rubber coated that are used to hold conduit and wires. They could be held onto the oil pan rail by the oil pan bolts themselves or by being mounted on a stand-off that is mounted to the pan rail bolts. Either way, you'll have zero worries about fires and heat, etc. I am unable to upload the picture, just look for wire/hose mounting clamp. You'll see it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts