Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to look at a GTO next week and it has a sticker on the car that says Royal Bobcat.How would I know if this car had the Royal Bobcat package?

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
You would need to see original paperwork that comes with the car and ties in with the car: vin, license, registration, etc. If the car was sold new at Royal, there is a fair chance. If there is no paperwork to validate, the owner probably stuck the sticker(S) on himself. I have several Royal Bobcat decals and stickers, in fact I bought 4 more this past weekend from Jim Wangers at a local car show. Neither of my GTO's has ever been near Royal Pontiac or a Bobcat kit.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
No. IMO if the owner is selling it as such the proof of burden is upon him to validate it as a true Royal Bobcat. If he has no proof (Original window sticker, paperwork from Royal Pontiac or PHS) the car is merely a GTO with a sticker on it. If he is presenting it as such with no paperwork you should question the whole car unless it is just a screamin deal. Oh, and the Bobcat package was available over the counter and through mail order but that doesn't make it a "real" Royal Bobcat in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
I am going to look at a GTO next week and it has a sticker on the car that says Royal Bobcat.How would I know if this car had the Royal Bobcat package?
you would have to have an original work order from the dealership listing the package was installed on the car. the car would also come from the Pontiac plant. the emblems for '64 n '65 were placed on the pillar unless the car had a vinyl top. my "64 RB had one emblem on the rear decklid on the drivers side opposite of the gto emblem because it had a black vinyl top.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
The kit will include the following;

Wikipedia said:
Bobcat
Throughout the 1960s, Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac, a Pontiac car dealer in Royal Oak, Michigan, offered a special tune-up package for Pontiac 389 engines. Many were fitted to GTOs, and the components and instructions could be purchased by mail as well as installed by the dealer. The name "Bobcat" came from the improvised badges created for the modified cars, combining letters from the "Bonneville" and "Catalina" nameplates. Many of the Pontiacs made available for magazine testing were equipped with the Bobcat kit. The GTO Bobcat accelerated 0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds.

The precise components of the kit varied but generally included pieces to modify the spark advance of the distributor, limiting spark advance to 34-36° at no more than 3,000 rpm (advancing the timing at high rpm for increased power), a thinner copper head gasket to raise compression to about 11.23:1, special intake manifold gaskets to block the heat riser to the carburetor (keeping it cooler), larger carburetor jets, and locking rocker nuts to hold the hydraulic valve lifters at their maximum point of adjustment, allowing the engine to rev higher without "floating" the valves. Properly installed, the kit could add between 30 and 50 horsepower (20-40 kW), although it required high-octane superpremium gasoline of over 100 octane to avoid spark knock with the higher compression and advanced timing.

The performance manager at Royal Pontiac was Milt Schornack. Adhesive stickers were added to advise onlookers of the fact that this GTO was a Royal Bobcat.

Optional with the Bobcat package was an extensive re- machining of the cylinder heads and block to "blueprint" the engine—that is, carefully machine the components so that their critical dimensions met the original GM factory blueprint specifications.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is this car original? If it has been restored then any Bobcat items that were performed would have been clearly gone by the way side.

On the other hand you could do everything that was called for from the various Bobcat packages to your newly restored car and have a Bobcat car, just not a Royal Bobcat car.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
the last time I viewed a gto that was being sold as a royal bobcat with documentation, the price was $90.000. it was a '64 coupe in las vegas, Nevada.

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
the last time I viewed a gto that was being sold as a royal bobcat with documentation, the price was $90.000. it was a '64 coupe in las vegas, Nevada.
Who would have thought in 64 that the receipt from Royal Pontiac would be worth an additional $40-$50 thousand 50 years later.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
lol. yeah. I bought mine in '78 for $600. then later sold it for $2.500. I also sold my hurst mags off the car for $75.00 ( one was bent ) and replaced them with crager super sports. at that time, hurst in pa. still had a few mags left to sell for $200. each without the beauty ring.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yes a 67 400 could have the Royal Bobcat package. Royal's performance department was sold in 1969 and went to Leader Automotive which was owned by George DeLorean.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Those reproductions are incorrect. I think Jim Wangers sells the correct repro versions of those.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Did you know, that the Philo sticker was introduced in 1966. Does anyone know what the correct sticker would have been for the 1965 year? Pop Quiz!

·
Registered
373 Posts
younggto, I will give you credit. It is actually a Bobcat head and not a lion's head. The bobcat has a crown on it's head and hense the Royal Bobcat name. Good Job!

That 65 sticker was a one year only sticker, very rare!

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
in the late '70s I assumed the bobcat cars from royal were named "bobcat" because of the gto "tiger" promotions. they were named "bobcat" from combining the names of two popular Pontiac models. the Bonneville and the catalina.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts