Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change my oil in a few days and I was wondering what people are using. I also appologize if this has been asked before, but I want to know what seems to work best. I used to use royal purple in my s-10, but I have heard that the mobil 1 oil has the same performance characteristics and is a little cheaper.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I get amsoil? I had never heard of it until about 5 months ago when I started reading posts on this forum. What is the cost compared to the other oils.

·
Registered
491 Posts
socal gto said:
I am going to change my oil in a few days and I was wondering what people are using. I also appologize if this has been asked before, but I want to know what seems to work best. I used to use royal purple in my s-10, but I have heard that the mobil 1 oil has the same performance characteristics and is a little cheaper.

Mobil 1...you can't go wrong. Factory filled in Corvette, Mercedes Benz AMG, Porsche, Viper, SRT 10, CTS, STS, XLR, etc...good enough for them, good enough for our GTOs :eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just Did My First Oil Change @ 985 Miles, Used Mobil 1. I Don't See How You Can Go Wrong Using It Due To The Fact That Pontiac Recommends It. If You Use Anything Else It May Give A Dealership Reason To Decline Warrenty Repairs. Just Something To Keep In Mind!(check Posts On Rear Ends With Royal Purple)

·
Registered
910 Posts
socal gto said:
Where can I get amsoil? I had never heard of it until about 5 months ago when I started reading posts on this forum. What is the cost compared to the other oils.
In regard to Amsoil... I constantly ask myself why 99% of all the Professional categories in NHRA dont use it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
johnebgoode said:
In regard to Amsoil... I constantly ask myself why 99% of all the Professional categories in NHRA dont use it.
Check out sponsorship! You don't use it unless someone pays you to use it. Racing is expensive! Ask GTODealer!

Amzoil is a great product. I have over 30 years of use and a well satisfied customer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
UdnUdnGTO said:
Check out sponsorship! You don't use it unless someone pays you to use it. Racing is expensive! Ask GTODealer!

Amzoil is a great product. I have over 30 years of use and a well satisfied customer.
I'm just going to throw this out there...look it over and send it right back if it doesn't fly...

My brother uses Amzoil and is a preferred customer...he was speaking with an Amzoil distributor out of Tx the other day, and the distributor claimed that Amzoil is known to "thicken" during oil change cycles. His oil analysis showed that the oil isn't ever worn out, it just keeps changing the viscosity, and it had him a little bit worried. If that's so, I don't think I want an oil that changes its viscosity on me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
I'm just going to throw this out there...look it over and send it right back if it doesn't fly...

My brother uses Amzoil and is a preferred customer...he was speaking with an Amzoil distributor out of Tx the other day, and the distributor claimed that Amzoil is known to "thicken" during oil change cycles. His oil analysis showed that the oil isn't ever worn out, it just keeps changing the viscosity, and it had him a little bit worried. If that's so, I don't think I want an oil that changes its viscosity on me.
I've read that concern before. AMSOIL has historically blended its oils to be high in a viscosity band. For example, a 30 weight oil should have a cSt viscosity of 9.30 - 12.49. AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 starts at 11.2. It only takes a small increase and it is in the SAE 40 catagory, though as a percentage the viscosity increase may be small. However, AMSOIL reformulated its motor oils last year and to address the concerns that AMSOIL thickens out of grade, I had my own used oil analysis samples run on a customers 1999 C5 Corvette. The below link shows three used oil analysis reports, the 3/11/05 sample is German Castrol 0w30, the 5/6/05 and 6/24/05 samples are AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30:
Corvette C5 AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 Used Oil Analysis Report

As can be seen from the above tests, the AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 used in these samples did not thicken out of grade (SUS viscosity of 62.4 is in band). Additionally, the wear results show wear metals (primarily aluminum, iron, copper and lead) to be about 25% of that labs universal average for the same motor family.

For the above poster who asked out to get AMSOIL:
Request a Free AMSOIL Catalog
AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
:cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts
johnebgoode said:
:agree
Change the brand of oil that the manufacturer recommends and you give them an out if you have internal engine problems.
I stay with Mobil 1.
Your confused. You are confusing API approvals and viscosity with brand names.
Any manufacturer recommended viscosity and API certification (SM/SL etc.)that is recommended for use in your particular engine is all the warranty calls for.
Mobil1 has a marketing deal with various manufacturers. Doesnt mean it is the best by any means. Means Mobil has cut a deal with GM just like Fram cut a deal with WalMart. Doesnt make Fram the "best" filter does it?

·
Registered
910 Posts
UdnUdnGTO said:

So if no one has an Oil Sponsor they use what? Amsoil is no better or no worse than Mobil 1.
As far as the expense of racing.......I did it from '88 to '05 with my race car. So as much as someone else thinks that racing is expensive, do it fo 17 yrs and then talk to me.

·
Registered
910 Posts
SgtGeek said:
Your confused. You are confusing API approvals and viscosity with brand names.
Any manufacturer recommended viscosity and API certification (SM/SL etc.)that is recommended for use in your particular engine is all the warranty calls for.
Mobil1 has a marketing deal with various manufacturers. Doesnt mean it is the best by any means. Means Mobil has cut a deal with GM just like Fram cut a deal with WalMart. Doesnt make Fram the "best" filter does it?
They cut a deal....yes I agree. But when it says Mobil 1 on the oil cap........and you change to another brand, you leave yourself wide open for a voided warranty issue regarding the internals of the engine. Dealers have been know to perform tests on oil when issues of this nature come up.
I used Mobil 1 in my race car for years and everytime I did a rebuild the bearings came out looking great. 99% of the people here are never going to put thier cars through the riggors of a qtr mile drag car. Again, Amsoil is no better or worse than Mobil 1. Why would anyone take the chance on voiding a warranty by changing the brand when, (on the '05), it specifically states Mobil 1 on the oil cap? There is absolutely nothing to gain.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Friend your dead ass wrong. I could use Pennzoil 5-30 Dino oil if that is within the viscosity parameters my owners manual calls for and not void or have any warranty issues. The oil cap is the marketing agreement. Any oil that has the API rating and the visocisity parameters as called for in the owners manual is all you need to stay within the warranty requirements.
Mobil1 is OK oil. Nothing to right home about. TBN's are so so. Shears down is no secret. Overpriced for what it is. VOA's/UOA's reflect middle of the road results. Castrol GTX dino with 5K OCI's are even better. RedLine/Royal Purple results are better in the synthetic world. But to say Mobil1 or you void your warranty or have any warranty issues is ridiculous.
Fairly simple question of Royal Purple vs. Mobil1.
Lets look at the VOA's of the two in the 5-30 viscosity arena.
Let's look at the friction and suspension (detergent) specific characteristics/make up.

Royal Purple Racing 21 ( 5-30)
Moly-130
Calcium-2944
Phosphorus-1130
Zinc-1981
cSt @ 100c-11.2

Mobil1 5-30 ( New EP)
Moly-79
Calcium-2936
Phosphorus-955
Zinc-1070
cSt @ 100c-10.6

Basically the same price but look at the delta between the two!
Now lets look at say RedLine 5-30.
Moly-679
Calcium-2917
Phosphorus-1419
Zinc-1421
cSt @ 100c-10.8

So as you can see from these VOA’s done by Blackstone, Mobil 1 is the weakest of the three. Does that make Mobil1 bad? Nope. But there are better in that price range for sure.
Use any of these oils while under warranty with no issue whatsoever.
For your viewing pleasure from GM.
http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/_res/pdf/SimpMaintConsumerQA.pdf
On a side note: I see you and I are about the same age:) Old fella's :)
I also have been drag racing and building street beast since the early 70's myself. Cool:cheers
My poor old 04 Goat.........

·
Registered
364 Posts
Adding to what the Sgt said, the Magnuson-Moss act prohibits companies from having tied-in sales provisions... basically it is illegal for a company to tie specific use of a brand to a warranty unless they have a waiver with the FTC. That is why if you read your owner's manual you will see words like "Your car requires an oil meeting GM Standard 4718M. The factory fill Mobil 1 meets this standard." They have set a spec for the oil, basically a 5w30 meeting GM Standard 4718M and as long as you use an oil meeting that spec, you are complying with the warranty requirements. :cheers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts