Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of purchasing 1965 GTO, 389 tri power, Muncie 4 speed with 3.55 gears. Going to fly out to NC to pick it up and drive 525 mi to Indiana just curious as to what RPMs will it register around 65-70 mph. The car only has 41,000 original miles and in showroom condition, 500 miles on complete restoration

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
rear tire height is going to be the determining factor... 3.55's @ 70 mph, engine is going to be singing along @ 3200-3300 rpm @ 70 mph. In my book, anything close to the condition you are mentioning warrants a ride in an enclosed trailer.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
PH has it right on engine RPM's figuring on a stock tire height of 26". These cars were designed when speed limits were 55 MPH on the highways. That puts your RPM's at almost 2,600 RPM's. Personally, 3,200 - 3,300 RPM's is too high to be running at steady highway speeds of 70 MPH if that is the posted speed limits are.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep it is, I'm flying out Monday to purchase. Hope it is as good as advertised. My first car I purchased was just exactly like this GTO when I was 19, it was 4 yrs old and I paid a whopping 1500.00 for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was thinking about that but now a days would probably get rear ended from some idiot texting. Was going to drive it to Indiana and park it in my brother in laws garage then make arrangements to ship it to Arizona where I live. I think I'd be better off just shipping from the dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I did. Not happy with paint but I can get that fixed at a later date. Took it for a drive and seemed to handle ok. I verified all the numbers and as far as I can tell the engine block, heads and tri power all indicate they were cast within 3 months of each other 1965. The transmission is from 1967. Got reciepts for everything that was done to this car in the last two yrs from engine rebuild to all new suspension parts, brakes, master cylinder, spring, ball joints new lower and upper arms. etc. I got them to work with me on the price a little. I still might have paid a little too much but I have been looking for this color combination for a long time and they are very hard to find. The car still needs some cosmetic work, the interior is very nice except need a new headliner. All in all I think this will be a fun car to have again to tinker with and pass it on to my kids. Its a nice piece of history, brings back a lot of good memories when I bought my first car when I was 19, I'm 65 now. My first car was a 1965 GTO tri power, red on red 4 speed, it was 6 yrs old and I paid a whopping 1500.00 for it. When your young you never would have thought this car would have been a collector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts