Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after nearly a year of a new washer pump being on my watch list, i have happily chosen to remove it for good. The old original pump never worked, then after much hubbub was able to get it to somewhat work, that is, it came on but sometimes it wouldn't shut off. Had the wires disconnected for about 6 months. So, I once again removed it, disassembled it and this time sprayed it down completely with degreaser, dried it and re-lubed strategic points on the ratchet wheel shaft, then tested it. Ran about 2 washer bottles of water through it (had to put catch pans under the fenders for run off, and of course, letting it rest at intervals, so as not to overtax the motor). It operates so much more quietly than it ever did, smooth as silk! Screw that $40, $50, $60+ for a new one! After nearly a half century, that old American metal still remembers how to function. I am incredibly content! :cool

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Well, after nearly a year of a new washer pump being on my watch list, i have happily chosen to remove it for good. The old original pump never worked, then after much hubbub was able to get it to somewhat work, that is, it came on but sometimes it wouldn't shut off. Had the wires disconnected for about 6 months. So, I once again removed it, disassembled it and this time sprayed it down completely with degreaser, dried it and re-lubed strategic points on the ratchet wheel shaft, then tested it. Ran about 2 washer bottles of water through it (had to put catch pans under the fenders for run off, and of course, letting it rest at intervals, so as not to overtax the motor). It operates so much more quietly than it ever did, smooth as silk! Screw that $40, $50, $60+ for a new one! After nearly a half century, that old American metal still remembers how to function. I am incredibly content! :cool
Congrats on the good work and great result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts