Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i thought the gto was getting a new body for '07, meaning they will start building it in '06. i recently saw a rumor that it might actually be a year later than that. i was just wondering if anyone else heard this too or has any info about it.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
It's always been GM's intention to produce the GTO in Australia for 3 years, basically the GTO was introduced and designed to give Pontiac a new public image in the US. The car is limited to 18,000 units because of UAW concessions on imports.

All of the GM press releases are stating the GTO will be built in the States in the fall of 06 and the GTO will be the first to introduce the zeta all wheel drive platform for 07.

Here is a 2003 news article from autoweek outlining their plans;

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=7780

I have not heard nor can I find any rumors regarding a delay in the release of the new platform or body change.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
It's a sad reality.

If / when they build it in the U.S., you can kiss the high quality/price ratio that the GTO now enjoys buh-bye.

One of the best things about the Holden Goat is the fact that it doesn't share the cheap switchgear / nasty plastics that haunts most of the domestic GM line (exceptions being Cadillac & new Vette).

Eff the UAW.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Groucho,
I respectfully disagree with part of your post.

I spoke with a friend that is an engineer over at the General. He commented that is was unfortunate that GM modeled the interior of the C6 from the C5 instead of the GTO.

Unfortunately they will probably model the ineterior of the "new" goat from the C6.

And I don't think it is the UAW. I had warranty problems with our Aurora. I sent a letter to the president of the UAW saying it isnt the car, but the customer service that is chasing me back to Asia. I sent a copy to the president of GM.

I got a call from the executive assistant to the president of GM responding to my letter, and some action was taken.

I thought that was the end until I got a letter from the UAW saying they sent my letter to GM, and hope I am happy with the resolution, then listed the resolution.

The UAW does care about their members. If GM spent $50 more per car on quality pieces, the UAW workers would install them, then if they spent $30 more per car on customer service, people would buy more GM cars, and then they wouldnt have to rebate everything..... rant off.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! one of the reasons why i was planning on getting an '06 is because it's the last gto on the current body. when i heard the '08 rumor, it made me panic a little because i didn't want to wait another year.

·
Registered
165 Posts
chris8299s said:
i thought the gto was getting a new body for '07, meaning they will start building it in '06. i recently saw a rumor that it might actually be a year later than that. i was just wondering if anyone else heard this too or has any info about it.
Along the same lines, but with a little embellishment. I have heard from another source (sorry, I am sworn to secrecy...but they are on this forum sometimes...) that the newer GTO will be released in mid 2007 as an 08 model. 06 will be the last GTO built and imported from Australia, as we already know. So, the 06, which will be here later this year, will have to last until the newer GTO debuts in late Spring/early Summer 07 as an 08 model. Anyone hear anything similar?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GumbyGoat said:
Along the same lines, but with a little embellishment. I have heard from another source (sorry, I am sworn to secrecy...but they are on this forum sometimes...) that the newer GTO will be released in mid 2007 as an 08 model. 06 will be the last GTO built and imported from Australia, as we already know. So, the 06, which will be here later this year, will have to last until the newer GTO debuts in late Spring/early Summer 07 as an 08 model. Anyone hear anything similar?
:eek: Cool! Do u have inside info? Do you know/can you find out anything about the '06 GTO? Or at least when info will be released?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't say that I'm overly impressed with the interior of the GTO, but it is definitely a step in the right direction. I am very biased on this because I provide switch products to some of the high-end German manufacturers. I know how serious they take the sound and feel of every control in the car. Those companies have teams of engineers studying nothing but haptics, and working with the engineers for the climate controls and infotainment systems to select the right component. I have had some exposure to the suppliers to the US market and the only thing they care about is price. I don't blame the suppliers, they have to have the lowest price to win the business and remain profitable at the same time. GM needs to step up to the plate and take these things serious, at least on the higher end cars. At the very least they should introduce optional climate controls, radios, and navigation systems with added features and improved feel.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
tiresmoker said:
I'll enjoy my o4 now..& who wants all wheel drive?? No more cool burnout if that happens!!
4-Wheel burnouts, baby!

And I concur with 84racebird about the interior-- it's not German-good, but it is a damned sight better than most any Domestic you may want to compare it against...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bring on the US built 4wd GTO, It will only make the Monaro based GTO's worth more. The US built GM cars are a joke when it comes to any kind of build quality. :willy: If I need a 4 wheel drive vehicle I will use my 4X4 TRUCK and not my GTO. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
165 Posts
chris8299s said:
:eek: Cool! Do u have inside info? Do you know/can you find out anything about the '06 GTO? Or at least when info will be released?
The same guy that gave me the info on the '08 also gave me the following:

"The Aussie lads are on the way home. What that means is the 06 will be carry-over for engine. They have been playing with new heads but it's not clear if they will be for the 06 or the new GTO. The new front end is very much up in the air. "Why spend money on the body for one year" with a new vehicle comong out. My guess because of the money issues, is the 06 will be pretty much carry over."

·
Registered
476 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
The same guy that gave me the info on the '08 also gave me the following:

"The Aussie lads are on the way home. What that means is the 06 will be carry-over for engine. They have been playing with new heads but it's not clear if they will be for the 06 or the new GTO. The new front end is very much up in the air. "Why spend money on the body for one year" with a new vehicle comong out. My guess because of the money issues, is the 06 will be pretty much carry over."
Do you think they will even make an '06, or just badge 6,000 as '05 and 6,000 as '06?

·
Registered
165 Posts
TexasRealtor said:
Do you think they will even make an '06, or just badge 6,000 as '05 and 6,000 as '06?
IMO I think they will see how sales of the 05 are going and based on that will make enough 06s (rebadged 05s with minor changes just to differentiate from the 05s) to last into 2006. I agree with the guy about not making any major changes for 06. Maybe minor ones, but even that is not fiscally smart. Only time will tell. I also agree with an earlier comment from someone else about the build quality. I am afraid that the newer GTO may have more appeal than the Monaro/GTO, but the build quality/fit/finish will not be the same or as good. Hopefully, there will be enough advance info on the 07/08 so I can decide to get the 06 or wait on the 07/08. The bottom line: I already have a GTO, so all of this may be a moot point. :cheers

·
Registered
674 Posts
The 01 Aurora is the same as the 02 Aurora except in 02 they got rid of the passenger door lock, and put chrome exhaust tips on.

The RX7 went for years with a continous serial number. From what I gathered, a guy walked up to the assembly line and pointed to two cars. the one in front is last years model, the one in back is this years model.

Porsche does the same thing, changes are evolutionary, and research shows cars with this VIN forward have the new water pump, etc.. Why should it be any different in austrailia?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.