Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..on the 99 Freeway just after the 99/5 split going Northbound. It was fun...we got up to ~120mph in places (the 99 is a very straight and wide freeway)...the the guy Camaro SS wanted to play footsie and I was in the mood to oblige....it was pretty obvious that the GTO has a substantial advantage in torque over the Flexi-flyer. We would form up along side and one or the other would punch it...the GTO was faster every time.

I have no idea what year it was, as those F-Bodies all look the same to me, but it look like one of the last of the breed..some late model variant. What engines did those things have?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Groucho said:
..on the 99 Freeway just after the 99/5 split going Northbound. It was fun...we got up to ~120mph in places (the 99 is a very straight and wide freeway)...the the guy Camaro SS wanted to play footsie and I was in the mood to oblige....it was pretty obvious that the GTO has a substantial advantage in torque over the Flexi-flyer. We would form up along side and one or the other would punch it...the GTO was faster every time.

I have no idea what year it was, as those F-Bodies all look the same to me, but it look like one of the last of the breed..some late model variant. What engines did those things have?
ls1's.... depending on the year....could be lt1....

·
Registered
29 Posts
if it was an 02 SS 325hp depending on the exhaust, with the optional exhaust
and intake its about 345hp :cheers good kill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Groucho said:
What engines did those things have?
No offense but I think you GTO owners should be better acquainted with LS1/LS2/LS6 engines and what bodys house them, especially LS1 and LS2 since they are the same engine as your 04/05 engines.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
136 Posts
he does not speak for every one 03ebz06...but dont knock him. maybe your just upset that an 05 GTO is only 5hp less than your 03 z06...but much repect to the Corvette

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
03EBZ06 said:
No offense but I think you GTO owners should be better acquainted with LS1/LS2/LS6 engines and what bodys house them, especially LS1 and LS2 since they are the same engine as your 04/05 engines.

Just my .02 cents.

Can't help it...all those Flexi-Bodies look the same to me. Not interested to know the diff. Truly can't be bothered.

Shrug.

Corvettes, I know...and respect the proper models accordingly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ouijaguy said:
he does not speak for every one 03ebz06...but dont knock him. maybe your just upset that an 05 GTO is only 5hp less than your 03 z06...but much repect to the Corvette
I'm not knocking anyone, it was just suggestion so that LS1/LS2 owners would have a better understanding about other platforms that shares same engine as your vehicle. It's kind of like getting to know better about one of your family members.

Upset over what? 05 GTO may have HP, but is still bloated pig and it will take some mod to run mid 11's, and don't even get me started on curves.

I've own LS1 vehicle since 2000 and was an LS1 engine moderator for LS1 and LS2.com, so I have pretty good knowledge of LS1 and related topics, and I find it amusing that there are so many LS1 owners who are clueless their car and other vehicles that share the same engine as theirs.

But whatever, I guess some people just want to keep blinders on and "truely can't be bothered with" ... And yet, GTO owners get offended or upset whenever some idiot calls it a Grand Prix or Grand Am because some people don't care to know about GTOs, how ironic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
03EBZ06 said:
I'm not knocking anyone, it was just suggestion so that LS1/LS2 owners would have a better understanding about other platforms that shares same engine as your vehicle. It's kind of like getting to know better about one of your family members.

Upset over what? 05 GTO may have HP, but is still bloated pig and it will take some mod to run mid 11's, and don't even get me started on curves.

I've own LS1 vehicle since 2000 and was an LS1 engine moderator for LS1 and LS2.com, so I have pretty good knowledge of LS1 and related topics, and I find it amusing that there are so many LS1 owners who are clueless their car and other vehicles that share the same engine as theirs.

But whatever, I guess some people just want to keep blinders on and "truely can't be bothered with" ... And yet, GTO owners get offended or upset whenever some idiot calls it a Grand Prix or Grand Am because some people don't care to know about GTOs, how ironic. :rolleyes:
You confuse apathy driven by a distaste for the poor build quality and ****-80's look of F-Bodies with a willful ignorance of the powerplants that power our own GTOs. OK, so let me get this straight-- Just because I find F-bodies to be a silly-looking, self-parodying example of everything I've personally disliked about domestic cars, this automatically makes a moron when it comes to the inner workings of my Holden?

That's the old "Chewbacca defense" from South Park-- it makes no sense.

What powers that Mustang GT I ran with on the freeway this morning? A V8, yeah, but beyond that I don't really give a rodent's patoot. What engine does that KITT-car have? Dunno. Don't care.

BTW- Your contention that a Flexi-flyer will beat a GTO on the curves borders on the hilarious. That iron-axle throwback may have advantages on the drag strip, but in the twisties you are mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh, now it's Holden, I guess you are having an identity crisis...lol

If you read my post and ouijaguy's post correctly, I was referring to my Z06 taking on 05 GTO...err, excuse me, Holden on the twisties. I gurantee that you that you'll be looking at my tail lights on the straight ways and twisties.

I didn't started my post to getting into a pissing contest, I merely suggested that people should be familiar with other cars, so that they'll know what they are up against.

you should know your enemy because in knowledge there is power, and ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to your competition.

I don't like Fords but I'm willing to learn about them so that whenever I encounter them, I at least know what I'm against.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
03EBZ06 said:
Oh, now it's Holden, I guess you are having an identity crisis...lol
Erm, no.

03EBZ06 said:
you should know your enemy because in knowledge there is power, and ignorance isn't bliss when it comes to your competition.
Thank you, Sun Tzu. I'll remember that when I'm ready to declare jihad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi 03EBZ06,

I've been saying the same thing all along and all I get is accused of being a Mustang owner, nice group here. Know your competition, understand what your chances are, this is common sense for meetings on the street. Hold your friends close and your enemies closer I always say and it is 100% true.

What nobody here seems to recognize is the fact that new '05 Mustang GT's have a good 200lb. weight advantage and we '05 GTO owners have a 33% displacement advantage. That's a LOT of extra cubes, but that 200lbs.+ can make for a pretty close race on the street if that new '05 GT has even only a CAI and tune up on it and you are racing from a light.

All I hear on the GTO forum is how new GTO owners are beating everybody they race this is simply B.S. If you can beat everybody you meet chances are that other guy isn't racing you or you're doing the ricer fly-by, how pathetic is that? I've done my share of racing and have beat and been beaten by many cars on the street and track. My '05 GTO is a fantastic car but it ain't no race car by any means. There are plenty of faster cars out there looking for you, if you haven't been beaten you aren't racing anybody worthy and THAT'S A FACT.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
newgoat said:
Hi 03EBZ06,

That's a LOT of extra cubes, but that 200lbs.+ can make for a pretty close race on the street if that new '05 GT has even only a CAI and tune up on it and you are racing from a light.
Here you go again. Why is it that when you want to compare the performance of the GTO and the Mustang GT, you always have to say what the GT will do with mods? That's because you know that the stock '05 GT has no chance in hell of out performing the GTO. Why are you always trying to give the Mustang an advantage over a car that you supposely own? You tend to get on the defensive when some of us believe that you are here with bad intentions only. Why don't you try reading your posts and you'll see why we feel that way. Sorry to say so, AGAIN, but your partial liking/compliments for the GTO is like telling your girlfriend she is cute but her ass is too big. But irregardless of the size of her a**, you still date her. I just don't get it :confused !

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
There is not any horsepower or torque difference between any LS1 cars that is noteable. GM underated the F bodys. My 02' Z28 dynoed at 314rwhp stock and 335 rwhp with a lid and a Corsa catback and a tune. It ran low 13's to high 12's. It was 400lbs lighter than a GTO and with a lower center of gravity and the front mid-engine design handle on par with the GTO on smooth roads.
That said the GTO is a better all-around car. Smooth, quiet, good handling for such a heavy car, great brakes. An added bonus is, Mustang crushing power stock for stock, equal mods for equal mods.
Now the Z06, that is a different beast. When you talk Z you need to talk Porsche turbo, Ferrari F360, and Lambo's. The GTO beats these cars also............. as a daily live with it driver, BUT just barely beats the Z.
There's my .02

·
Registered
36 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Here you go again. Why is it that when you want to compare the performance of the GTO and the Mustang GT, you always have to say what the GT will do with mods? That's because you know that the stock '05 GT has no chance in hell of out performing the GTO. Why are you always trying to give the Mustang an advantage over a car that you supposely own? You tend to get on the defensive when some of us believe that you are here with bad intentions only. Why don't you try reading your posts and you'll see why we feel that way. Sorry to say so, AGAIN, but your partial liking/compliments for the GTO is like telling your girlfriend she is cute but her ass is too big. But irregardless of the size of her a**, you still date her. I just don't get it :confused !
Because these are what a lot of the guys that live around here (SoCal), drive that want to give my new goat a run. I've herded most of them off to the barn but a few have clearly been packing large caliber heat.

I don't have a girlfriend, been married 24 years this fall. My wife has a great bubble and 36D guns to match. I must be lucky I guess to still have a hot wife (really lucky, I'm no Brad Pitt), and a new GTO to go with her.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ill pose a question for both sides, WHY ARE YOU STILL FIGHTING OVER THE SAME TOPIC? The GTO was designed for a different type of driving than the GT plain and simple. The Mustang and Camero were both designed and built with drag racing in mind, that is why they are both light and lack in comfort, grand old american concept. The GTO may be built by Holden but it is still european design so you get a heavyer car with a smooth ride good for high speed, long trips, twists and turns. You guys are taking these car's out side of there elements, its kind of like off roading with a top fuel dragster, you can do it but you'll never be happy with the results.

·
Registered
590 Posts
little tell tale taillight id

93-96 Camaros had only red/white tailights and LT1 engines maybe some with LT4 in 96?? 275-300 hp rating

97-02 Camaros have new front end and yellow inlcuded in tailight lens.

depending on year and SLP option exhaust, like my 02 SS was, out the door with SLP lid / exhaust, 325 hp rating, sliding scale downward to about 300 hp.

someone here don't flame me, that's all off top of my head .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well I just bought my 05 and get it on Thursday, so I have only test driven the car. But the interesting thing about it is that I traded in my 05 GT for this car, the only mod I had on this car was the K&N filter, but I can personally gaurntee you that the GTO is tremendousley faster than the GT, it is not even close, and like I said I have only test driven the goat, but I know speed when I feel it. And the Stang had none.

·
Registered
15 Posts
03EBZ06 said:

Just thought you might like to know: 05 M6 GTO's do run *high* 11's on the 1/4 all day long. Now - what were you saying about getting to know LS2's?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
GTObsessor said:
Just thought you might like to know: 05 M6 GTO's do run *high* 11's on the 1/4 all day long. Now - what were you saying about getting to know LS2's?
What mods to get to those numbers?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts