Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would post this here because I have seen the most in depth discussions on BCM/PIM/security link issues on this forum.

I've always wanted to put a Gen IV engine in my GTO so I could run a high compression NA setup with variable camshaft. The E40 doesn't support variable camshafts. The E38 and E67 do, but I thought there was no way they would ever talk to the BCM and PIM. But recently, I discovered that Holden already figured out how.

From February to July of 2006. Holden produced the VZ Commodore platform but used the L76 and L98 engines. After July, they switched to the VE platform. But for those 6 months, VZ Commodores came with Gen IV engines running E38 computers. I was able to verify this tonight by downloading a tune file from a 2006 VZ Commodore Ute produced in April 2006.

As you can see from the attached images, the VIN indicates that it is a 2006 Holden 2 door. The H engine code from what I could find online indicates Gen IV V8, and the number after it indicates which Gen IV engine. It seems 9 would indicate L98, so in this case I think 0 indicates L76.

Either way, it's a Gen IV engine with an E38 computer in a VZ chassis straight from Holden. The question is, knowing this is possible, how hard would it be to make it work over here?

My first thought was the easiest (yet very costly) thing to do would be to get the ECU, BCM, PIM, and possibly harness from one of these Feb-July 06 VZ cars, import them, put them in your car, and they should still be security linked to everything but maybe the dash? Not sure if the dash needs to be security linked to the rest of the system. The second and more advantageous option, would be if there was a way to security link an E38 to the BCM or PIM using SPS or some other means. A engine computer guru in Oz told me I would probably need to use an early E38 (12603892 or 12597121), a newer one may brick if you try it. This one seems to be on a 12607218 ECU.

If this could be done, the upsides would be huge! No more having to change reluctor wheels or use an ignition converter to run a Gen IV engine. A more robust ECU with provisions for variable camshafts, Virtual VE, and so on. So knowing this, how hard would it be to make one work in a GTO?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke to an ECU flasher who said if you used the ECU, PIM, and BCM from the same VZ Holden car, you wouldn't have to change anything and the car should fire right up. I asked him about the the cluster because I wasn't sure if the cluster was security linked to the BCM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I was wrong about this being the right forum to talk about this in

1 - 3 of 3 Posts