Pontiac GTO Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
And yes I use the Mr Gasket thermostat, too. I just drill 3, .125 holes in it. I can tell you that my last car was a 70 vette, and they pretty much have the worst rep in the entire GM lineup, for cooling. But with those few small mods and a thorough cleaning, it was always super cool!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I know I hear it all the time about the shroud but I'm trying not to put the big plastic original on if I can help it so we'll see, I got the car with no shroud so I thought this would be ok and keep me from losing a finger. I had the original seven blade fan but it produced to much drag and my serpentine belt kept squealing even with a non hydraulic clutch, I ended up tightening the belt to much and blew out the water pump bearings, so I ditched the mechanical for an electric fan and the belt and new water pump are happy now. I don't think the guy I got the motor from was going to race it so idk what Butler was thinking they just told me the vacuum advance was not reliable and all over the place, so can I add a vacuum advance to this dist they show one in the directions so maybe I'll research it. It's an MSD ready to run pro billet with a rev limiter so I hate to just ditch it. Here's the stat,
so drill in between the slots I assume?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I see vacuum canisters for that dist for 25.00 so I should be able to just add it to mine I hope.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
We need part numbers for knowing if you can add a vac can... But I'd call Holley or Summit and just ask. Yes those adjustable vac cans are all over the place, BUT you can buy a non adjustable type or verify yours with a dial back light, in which case, it'll likely meet your needs

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
99 Posts
Cool oil is one of the best things that you can do for your engine. A cooler dramatically drops oil and engine temps, it adds life to the engine, and it speeds up oil changes, too! Plus you can do the remote filter mount and add the cooler in-line, which makes it all cheap, tidy, and now you can change your filter from under the hood.
Do you have a recommendation for oil cooler system? - '67 400ci/TH400....mostly stock except for Sniper EFI, Aluminum intake, and Cool Case radiator.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
Yes I do, but it does require a bit of personal taste. So... What I always do is to simply ad a Transdapt, remote filter mount, and I rerout the return line from that through an oil cooler.

It's a very easy, Saturday morning project.

You need to decide where you want to mount your oil filter, if you go this route, and of course, where you want to mount your oil cooler.

There are many oil coolers out there... a simple B&M, in front of the radiator (just like an OEM or trans cooler) will work awesome. Or, you can get an inline frame mount cooler, which is also super cool.... And then there's the Derale unit with a fan and thermostat, which is my favorite.

The prices are varied, depending on which way you go. You can use rubber hose with barbs and clamps, or braided stainless with an fittings. It can be done in a few hours for less than $150, or you can spend $1000. Do youu just want cool oil? DO you want to add ease of filter change? Do you want it to look super cool (to impress your pals)? Those are all preference.

The derale unit with the fan is small enough to fit in the fender, behind the passenger headlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here's the dist model, also I left out what I think maybe part of the problem and think it may be a false reading of to hot. I wanted a temp gauge under the hood so I used the port for the dash gauge sending unit in the Edelbrock intake so the one on the passenger side was covered by the water neck and braided nut so I got a neck with a port for the sending unit so maybe that was to high and not in the water enough. So bought an LS neck and combined it with a
Pontiac flange by having my machinist friend put a chamfer on the flange to match the LS neck, now it's higher and could swivel out of the way for my Speedhut sending unit. So now the under the hood gauge matches the dash gauge perfect, also was dealing with an original 56 year old temp gauge, guess when it's 85 out I'll know if that was part of the perception over running to hot.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
I dont believe that a vac can, can be added to dizzys without one. While I do think that many of your little issues can be contributing to your overall condition, I have to say, I really think you're missing the boat with the vac advance. Not just for temps, but for power/ efficiency and mileage as well. The nice thing about owning a Pontiac is that you can always justify buying new parts, to save gas.!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great...I'll start researching it, the can does make a lot of sense. Here's the old water neck...I wasn't a fan.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks ! I'm trying, but sometimes I go for looks and not function and it bites me in the ass so have to find the right parts to keep the balanceo_O

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good news I looked up my dist on Holley's site and it came with a can, so I'm just going to order the MSD one that belongs on it for 23.00.....now black or silver what looks better HA HA :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of a remote filter, so does the remote do much cooling or do you really need an oil cooler to make a difference in engine temp?? I wanted to run that tall Moroso oil filter but there's not enough clearance to the down pipe, I assume they have a port for the dash sending unit but not also need one for my under hood gauge so I guess I could use the tee I'm using now.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I would not go through the hassle of a remote filter or cooler on a street driven Pontiac. I have one on my racecar, but it's primarily for improved filtering of the oil. There's no reason that a Pontiac engine would require this for cooling engine cooling. There's something else going on.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Tall Moroso filter - I had poor luck with these. I installed that first, and then I upgraded to the System 1. It's mounted on the firewall.

Oil Lines 2007-0825 008 crop small.jpg
DSCN5878 small.jpg

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of a remote filter, so does the remote do much cooling or do you really need an oil cooler to make a difference in engine temp?? I wanted to run that tall Moroso oil filter but there's not enough clearance to the down pipe, I assume they have a port for the dash sending unit but not also need one for my under hood gauge so I guess I could use the tee I'm using now.
A remote cooler adds capacity, so that will aid in cooling, quality, and life . Coolers are added if you wish to really focus on temp.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
875 Posts
I would not go through the hassle of a remote filter or cooler on a street driven Pontiac. I have one on my racecar, but it's primarily for improved filtering of the oil. There's no reason that a Pontiac engine would require this for cooling engine cooling. There's something else going on.
Yeah, I don't think that's his issue, but I always recommend them to anyone looking to prolong engine life and oil quality. The cooling is just a side benefit.

I started using them on my Fiero (for obvious reasons), and then all of my new GMs had them from the factory, so I continued using them. I don't know if they're on most vehicles now, but my Trans Am, Solstice, Silverado, and Hemi Grand Cherokee, all came with them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well I'm thinking every little thing helps since I'm keeping my visor shroud and it certainly won't hurt if it's not too expensive or a huge job and done tastefully. I know just the remote isn't going to make a big difference in temp but maybe that inline cooler with a remote and it would add capacity and of course looks cool if done nice. OMT what problems did you have with the tall Moroso filter, and then what's the one in your pictures? Also I was thinking of it being easier to change the filter and getting it away from the down pipe, it's so close it's like putting my oil through rotisserie down there. Just looking at the engine compartment there's not a good place really to mount the remote, think it would look hokey screwing right to the heater box.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
don’t get that vac can get a Standard motor parts SMP VC 181and a
O’Neill part # BWD V374

And a vacumn corrector from Lars email him

[email protected] each about $15

that can will pull in low under 11 to13 Hg and with Lars corrector a bit lower, and it will drop the can timing advance from 16 to 10 degrees..I put them on every original points I curve and have put them on MSD ready to run.....

this make your car run real good hook to full manifold vac

61 - 80 of 91 Posts