Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A mechanic I know told me my Goat was running rich.
How would ya tell and what would I do to correct it?

Thanks as always
Tk

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
check the plugs. wet, sooty, black? a nice burn they will be the color of nestle's quick cocoa mix. check choke operation, adjust air mixture screws n set idle to specs.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Does it sting your eyes when you stand behind it? Did you adjust the mixture at idle? When is it running rich....at idle or at cruise? Did your mechanic use a gas analyzer to check the tailpipe readings (the best way to determine mixture and what mechanics do)....

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Has anyone installed a fuel/air ratio sensor, and if so, is there a favorite? I see 'em on Summitracing for ~$200, wonder if it'd be worth it for actual street conditions tuning purposes.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I have. I bought an Innovate LM-2 system. It's not one that you leave in the car all the time (well, I guess you could but it would be somewhat ugly...).

I like it. The only problem I've had with it is getting a reliable tach reading on the data logger function from my HEI.

Bear

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dosnt sting my eyes at all. I have never messed with the carb adjustments. The settings are still as when 1st out of the box. there's no black smoke. or foul odor, I kinda like the smell of burnt 100 LL.
The plugs wernt oily before the motor spun a bearing and I rebuilt it. I do have an electric choke.
scratches head.
thanks as always and happy holidays!

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Well, it all boils down to your 'mechanic'. And his qualifications. And what you want and expect. A lot of the race guys are using O2 sensor technology on the other forum and it really helps them tune their engines optimally for power and longevity under real world conditons. Not a bad idea at all, if you don't have access to a 5 gas analyzer at the shop.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Dosnt sting my eyes at all. I have never messed with the carb adjustments. The settings are still as when 1st out of the box. there's no black smoke. or foul odor, I kinda like the smell of burnt 100 LL.
The plugs wernt oily before the motor spun a bearing and I rebuilt it. I do have an electric choke.
scratches head.
thanks as always and happy holidays!
I assume you purchased a new or rebuilt carb? the mixture screw settings out of the box are just an initial setting to start the car, run to full operating temperature. then you do your fine tune adjustments to the carb. listen to the motor and use a quality timing light that has a tach to watch the rpms. when you make your adjustments, do alittle at a time n be patient n wait for a change to obtain best idle. set idle screw to specs n make final check to mixture screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts