Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in advance auto, and they had a buy one get one free sale on this stuff. I have not bought spray can engine paint in 5 years now. I have used plastikote and duplicolor for years.

Anyway, I have tried to get this paint to not bubble up every way I can think of. Light coats, heavy coats, close up painting, far away, 10 to 12" away, I have cleaned it with prep wash, brake cleaner, soap and water. Nothing, I am cleaning up engine accessory brackets and I can not get this stuff to lay down flat. Might be a bad couple cans but for me it is back to duplicolor. Even that stuff isn't to durable but it lays flat.

Can't wait to start powder coating at home.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
I've tried Rust-oleum in the past. I tried it on some black car parts and home use. I found it to be junk. The paint runs like water drips and doesn't lay well. I look at the can and it has paint running down it and dripping off the bottom.

I switched to dupli-color to paint the engine when I first got the '70 and car other parts and found it worked great. I really like it.

I will never use rust-oleum again I don't care if its free. I've used all kinds of different spray paints over the years and its by far the worst crap I ever used.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Used it as instructed...wrinkled and dried to a "soft plastic like, waxy," surface that can easily be removed with a fingernail.....IMHO...garbage.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics of the stuff I am sanding off and repainting with duplicolor.

They where as smooth as glass before rustoleum.

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
:eek:.......Rustoleum has been around forever.....I can't beleive this crap!
Lots of junk has been around forever... LOL. One example.. and I know woodworking tools, manufacturers.. top of the line and bottom of the line.... Black & Decker items" Bottom of the line and MOST are in the same category as Rustoleum. B&D has been around forever.......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts