Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I finally took the Goat out and washed it with detergent and warm water. Many of my 'ugly spots' were caked on dirt that washed away.
Some however didnt and apparently are rust stains.
Now I know paint dosnt rust, so im assuming its down to the bare metal?
Anyway, i guess i need to sand them down and paint these spots with something to prevent spreadage.
primer? rustoleum? something else?
Also which grit sand paper should i be using?
ps, dont laugh (well go ahead) but wifeys father, way back in the day, painted the car with enamel house paint.
thanks as always
Tk
:seeya:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
There are some products that supposedly neutralize rust. Eastwood has several options there. But, the only way to guarantee that it's banished and won't spread is to cut it out and weld in fresh clean metal. Where are the spots and how big are they? Got photos?

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
If it's just surface rust thru the paint (sounds like it is) just sand it down with 80 grit followed by 100 grit, and prime and paint over it. Primer won't seal the metal, you need paint for that. You can also use some acid etch on it after you remove the rust (neutralize afterwards) to prevent flash rusting prior to hitting it with primer. The main thing is to get the rust off of the metal. You can even use a wire brush mounted in a drill motor, which will take out the rust and leave the metal unharmed. I recommed a bronze wire wheel for this on small bird-dropping-size areas. I would not cut out areas of metal that are merely surface rusted. Only if there are holes all the way through the metal.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
THat's terrible, you just need to swap cars with me..
That's surface rust. Sand it down and throw some etch primer on it. No big deal. If you get it painted, whatever you put on there is going to get sanded off any way, just clean it up and reprime.
After a couple year build thats the worst? Nice car.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
What Jet said. And it looks like the car has been in primer a long time, long enough for the whole thing to have light surface rust under the primer (I can see it over the entire trunk lid, pretty much. When you get ready to paint the car, it'll come off easily. No worries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts