Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello guys new to this forum... i found a 1967 GTO hardtop for a father son project (im the son) but i have no idea of what i might be getting myself into. i was told by a restoration shop that the car was not worth restoring... although he is a restoration shop he specialized in corvette mostly, so i figured id get a 2nd opinion from a broader spectrum of people on the topic. the car is located in the swampy south, so the rust is epic. floors are completely rusted through trunk is rusted through quarters are rusted through. the resto shop said the only thing valuable on the car was the vin tag and trim tag..... but for $1800 i figured it was worth it...... i have about 10000 to invest in a car... im in so Cal........ so worth buying or spend my money else where? any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
hello guys new to this forum... i found a 1967 GTO hardtop for a father son project (im the son) but i have no idea of what i might be getting myself into. i was told by a restoration shop that the car was not worth restoring... although he is a restoration shop he specialized in corvette mostly, so i figured id get a 2nd opinion from a broader spectrum of people on the topic. the car is located in the swampy south, so the rust is epic. floors are completely rusted through trunk is rusted through quarters are rusted through. the resto shop said the only thing valuable on the car was the vin tag and trim tag..... but for $1800 i figured it was worth it...... i have about 10000 to invest in a car... im in so Cal........ so worth buying or spend my money else where? any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
It would definitely be worth $1800, but it would be a pricey project. There's more $1800 woth of parts there, and if it has the original engine, trans, and rearend it would be a big plus. Is it a 4 speed car or auto?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is a 4 speed with a hurst shifter..... the resto guy told me im looking at $60000 to get it back to its original form.......... and that some old cars are just "not worth" restoring

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
You are looking at $10,000 worth of body repairs, then add $2,000-$3,000 for the interior, $3,000-$5,000 in rebuilding the drive train, $700-$1,000 for glass and trim, $600-$1,000 for chrome plating and probably $5,000-$10,000 for other items and repairs. I had several thousand into blasting cabinets, a rotessorie, stands, hoist, painting guns, welder and a compressor.

Total cost could easily run between $20,000-$40,000 doing it yourself. Total time for a father-son project could take 2-10 years. IMHO, find a car that needs a few repairs for $10,000-$20,000 and spend your time enjoying the car.

I have pictures in my photo album of a 66 full frame off and a 67 front clip removal and restoration, on the 66 I hired 3 guys to help me get the body work completed and painted. Here is a link where I started with the 67 and then the 66, from this page go in reverse order;

http://www.gtoforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/27/ppuser/417

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Have you considered hat your Corvette "expert" just didn't want the job? A guy will spew anything if he doesn't want he job or only takes the easy stuff. I would get a second opinion or third but looks worth the money to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill upload more pictures.... it really bummed me out to hear it wasnt worth it! the 67 is my (magical unicorn) as i thought it would take some time to get it running...... i figured id get a few opinions on it before i cancelled the idea of picking it up

·
Registered
95 Posts
To me, it looks like a car for a guy in the business of restoring old cars. Great advice from 05gto. If you are not married to that car look for another and you will be surprised at what you can find, The 67 you found is one heck of a project.........

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow - yeah, she's way worse than I thought. The 4 speed makes it more desireable, but that car really needs a whole body transplant, and judging by the pics, the frame is probably damaged, too. Its hard to look at them in that shape.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Of your four pic sets... the first of each are basically an under and over of the same area of the trunk and spare tire... (NOT GOOD!)

I agree that there is $1800+ in value there, but that car is a lost cause. WAAAAY too much rust for the expense of replacing it. Now...that could all go out the window if the car has a historic significance, or was a documented factory or otherwise well know race car (unlikely).

I'd stay diligent and find another car. I (admittedly) got an incredible deal on a VERY clean 100,000 mi. 1967 survivor car. The point is, they're out there if you cast your net far enough and remain patient.

Good luck!!

Chuck

·
Registered
125 Posts
Of your four pic sets... the first of each are basically an under and over of the same area of the trunk and spare tire... (NOT GOOD!)

I agree that there is $1800+ in value there, but that car is a lost cause. WAAAAY too much rust for the expense of replacing it. Now...that could all go out the window if the car has a historic significance, or was a documented factory or otherwise well know race car (unlikely).

I'd stay diligent and find another car. I (admittedly) got an incredible deal on a VERY clean 100,000 mi. 1967 survivor car. The point is, they're out there if you cast your net far enough and remain patient.

Good luck!!

Chuck
Agreed!
I will say that if the owner would accept $1000, I would buying no matter what if you plan on getting a '67. At that price, you would have parts, and you could actually make money on it to help fund your other one. Any car with a good Muncie included in the deal is worth $1000.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts