Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still looking at new HO manifolds or headers, but if I do keep my original manifolds, I would need to clean them up.
I couldnt upload pics, but they have the usual amount of surface rust for a car that's 47 years old
Is sandblasting a good idea for these? I have "black beauty" that I've used for other body parts.
As always, any input is appreciated.
Paul

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I blasted mine last March and painted them with flat black stove paint. They still look fine and have no rust....and I've driven the car quite a bit since then.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Yeah, blast em with about anything and then coat em with some type of high heat paint or sealer.

I like Eastwoods stainless steel or cast iron paint.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I knocked off the heavy rust with a hand held wire brush (although I do have a blast cabinet) then painted them with POR-15 factory manifold grey. They look brand spanking new! I recommend getting a small can of the POR15 factory manifold grey.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for all the posts in this thread. I'm still running my original exhaust manifolds, so this looks like the best option is to sandblast and high heat paint. Typically, once sandblasted and repainted, are the casting numbers still legible?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
No issues with the PN, that is heavy metal and blasting just skims the surface. The ones I did look great, but were older restoration pieces, not original rust belt items.
Orbit, I love por 15, how long did the manifold paint last? May paint the bottom of the heads with the stuff if it works really good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Every set of headers I have ever had come loose. Double up the gasket and safty wire the suckers and they would still eventually leak.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I blasted them today, they look pretty good! All the numbers are still visible, no issues there at all. There wasn't too much rust, and it was all surface.
I'm going with the factory manifold grey. I want it to be as close to original as possible.
Thanks everyone for the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts