Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question, Im gonna sand blast my frame and was wondering what media to use. I live in a pretty small town and all I can pick up locally is some 20-30 grit blasting sand. I was wondering if this would be fine for the frame or if it would be too rough on it. Its cheap stuff 8 bucks for a 100lb bag and its silica free. I ask because I blasted a small area today and it looked like it might have been a little harsh, but then again I have never sand blasted before and dont know what to look for. Any input would be great becasue I wanna get started on it tomorow.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Should work out great, lots of steel there to work with. If it looks harsh just back up a bit or take the pressure down a touch. That grainy clean appearance will be perfect for adhesion of your choice paint or primer. Good luck and post some pics.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome thats what i wanted to hear thanks for the fast reply. Im gonna clean her up tomorow and hopeully lay down my first layer of primer (extreme chassis black) be nice to have it all painted up :cool
Another question what is the prep work after blasting can I hit it with some pre painting prep and cal it good or do I need some Phosphoric acid treatment

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It never hurts to phospho bare steel but check with Eastwood to make sure, I believe you could go either way. Don't forget the pics!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping to get the whole thing blasted today but I broke one of the ceramic tips on my gun and turns out the other two spares I had were too small to fit the media through. Becuase I only got part of it blasted I went ahead and hit it with some phospho to keep it from rusting. Ordered a new tip and should have the thing stripped here before too long. Here are some pics of my progress. Wanna get it blasted so i cant paint the inside of my car, just finished both floor pans :cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that grease was rough. Was gettin most of it off while my compressor caught back up lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha yeah got 800lbs out there right now with about another 400 too go. gonna grab a lawn chair and a corona when im done and sit on my new beach and stare at my clean frame

1 - 11 of 11 Posts