Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving work yesterday I saw a Sky witht the top down sitting in the lot of the Nassau Collisseum. I was getting a ride to the dealer to pick up the GTO so I couldnt stop/pull over.

They had a Joel Olstein convention the night before (Joel Olstein was speaking. Is his audience a Sky target? Well, someone I work with that went to see Joel said there were two rows of new cars there but she got there too late to check them out), the Islanders were playing at the Garden last night. Maybe it is for the Ranger Islander game tonight at the collisseum. Anyone know for sure?

I sat in Solstice #464 yesterday. I was very impressed and unimpressed at the same time.

I used my RX7 convertible as a benchmark. Interior was very nice, I take back some of what I said about the beltline. It was a little lower than that of the RX7 which is good, and the windshield was far away and low. That was very nice. The throws of the shifter were very short and tidy. Nice

The fact that the top took up the whole rear area was bad. Very bad. I was able to get to sets of clubs in the trunk of the RX7. For a long weekend the RX7 had an ample trunk. Where are people supposed to store their stuff for a weekend with the solstice? Because of that, and that alone I would probably go for a used Z3/4 over a new solstice. Unless the storage is somewhere else.

I think Pontiac has a winner with the Solstice. I couldnt get a price from the owner of the dealership, he just said they are going for 3-5k over sticker on ebay and he wont get one for a customer for months.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I dunno...I didn't like the Solstice's interior very much. The materials were definitely of the army-man plastic variety and while I welcome the fact that it doesn't look like some bad 1960s science-fiction movie set (like the Bonneville, Grand Am, etc) it just freaking screams cheap. That being said, the seats were not shabby though. The gearshift is positioned nicely.

Haven't drove either the Solstice or the new MX-5, but after the sit test the 3rd-gen Mazda roadster smokes the Solstice.

Like to see a Sky in the flesh (thermoplastic?)-- the design looks much more aggressive without being over the top- at least in pix.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But you have to admit groucho that the fit and finish was a lot better than just about anything to wear a GM (usa) badge.

I would rank the materials about equal to my brothers 93 325i.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Tom said:
I would rank the materials about equal to my brothers 93 325i.
OK...materials about the same quality as a 12-year old E36...I'll give you that.

Like I said-- it was refreshing to see that they show restraint.

MUCH rather have the MX-5, however. It's just better thought out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I drove a solstice last week at the GM Auto show in motion in St Louis. Pretty cool little car. Interior was decent for what it is. You really have to keep the RPM's up to have any power, but this will be a very fun car in the twisties!!!

Its a very tiny car, but I didn't feel crammed into it like I did in the SSR.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Groucho said:
MUCH rather have the MX-5, however. It's just better thought out.
i havent seen the interior of a miata yet. a guy a few miles from me has one parked in front of his house. If it has a proper "boot" it would be a winner in my book. just the lower beltline would put me in the miata.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.