Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the assist with the photo, 05GTO.

I've owned two Corvettes, and so far those are the only two-seaters I've had experience with. Maybe it's weird for a torque junkie to admit, but a smaller, nimble sports car has always appealed to me. I don't want to go through life without my car ownership history having included one of these. The intimacy, price point, power and economy of the Solstice/Sky make them really attractive.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dealernut said:
Should know for sure next week as the ordering books come out.
Would you mind sharing? And will GMS be available? Should I go this route, it'll be a tossup between the Sky and Solstice. I like my Pontiac dealership and I know everyone there, so going with a Sky would mean meeting a whole new group of folks. I like the Sky's edgy, quasi-Corvette styling a lot, but the Solstice wouldn't be bad at all.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Groucho said:
Yeah- pretty car....but I'll bet your average mpg isn't going to vary significantly between your Holden and the Sky Redline...it may even be worse.

Break it down. It's actually kind of amazing.
You make a good point. For a brief spell I owned a '91 Beretta GTZ with the buzzy, 180-bhp Quad Four in it. To get that sucker to move with anywhere near the alacrity of my previous car (an '86 Vette), I had to wind the bejeebers out of it . . . thereby ruining whatever economy it may have offered.

If you pick a reasonable rate of everyday, stoplight-to-stoplight acceleration--whatever rate your own "internal motor" naturally selects--I've always held that a very powerful car probably matches the fuel economy of a smaller car that you have to beat the snot out of to get up to speed. Kinda like handing a full suitcase to both Conan the Barbarian and Pee Wee Herman: They both can move it, but one is working awfully hard to get the job done while the other is loafing.

Still, we're looking here at a car that weighs nearly 1,000 pounds less than ours, but is only down 140 bhp. Kinda fun to think about.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
As a former Miata owner, I really liked the looks of the Solstice and although I haven't seen the Skye personally, the design looks even more wicked to me. (And therefore more appealing)

I hope the Skye has a usable trunk, but since it shares design with Solstice, I'm guessing it won't. I've also heard neither will have a spare tire only a can of goo and a built in compressor. Great for fixing a nail or screw hole, but little comfort if you blow out one of those low profile tires on a pothole. Go to the CrossFire forum, and you'll read the horror stories of people stranded and financially raped trying to get a tire replaced.

That and a trunk that makes the GTO trunk look like it's in a Crown Victoria were enough reasons for me not to seriously consider one. I blew off purchasing a CrossFire for the same reasons. Makes one marvel at how Mazda designed a usable trunk AND a spare tire in the Miata.

End of rant- - -the Solstice seems to be in demand, so what do I know?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't like either of them. I was number 2 on the list to buy the sky when it arrived at the dealership. Well it arrived about a month ago, and I did not like it at all. It just seemed like it was really cheap. Especially right now they are tacking on an extra $5,000. So it brought it to a total of $30,000. So i decided to trade in the 05 gto for the 06 gto. If i was one of you i would save the money and buy a mini cooper s and trick it out. I can get a 350hp mini cooper for $30,000. I would save your money, the car just seemed really really cheap to me.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Groucho - I agree. If they put the 6 spd in it then I believe the little one will be a little better. If they stick with the 5 spd then the GTO will reign supreme

GM Kid - Order books are available on the 24th. The order book will tell us what the changes will be. Still will not be able to order one yet. But we are one step closer.

GMS - Not at my store. but it will be available if the dealership allows it. It just does not make sense for us to sell them at GMS when we have 30 people waiting in line to pay MSRP. Since this is one of the ONLY cars Pontiac makes that can make that claim.

Noz - The very first thing I would do is switch to Run Flats. I would not even drive off the lot.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
That's funny, I've actually seen two of these cars on the road, and while I'm a Solstice fan, this car blows it out of the water when it comes to appearance. Pictures don't do this car justice!
P.S. Poor bastard in a Solstice got his ass handed to him on Monday afternoon by a white SRT4, he started it.......:willy:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think both the Solstice and Sky are nice looking vehicles, and I was pleasantly surprised when I saw a Solstice on the Pontiac dealer's lot and saw it is a bigger car than what I expected (a bit bigger than the lastest MR2).

Still, I couldn't see myself personally owning one--though the higher power versions coming out sound interesting. I've always been a person who feels paranoid about small cars. I just feel safer in something large--but I don't like going too large (say, SUV) because you lose braking distance and maneuverability (I probably spelled that wrong).

Anyway, if you like to go quick, I agree with Groucho that it's really going to drive the numbers down a lot. Not to mention that the EPA numbers suck anyway. I've always owned V8s except for one vehicle--a Cavalier 4cyl. I bought the Cavalier because I wanted a newer vehicle, and something more economical. But, I would drive it with the gas pedal down 50% or more almost all the time, and very often floor it. I very often found myself trying to press the pedal down further--though it was against the floor--and feeling panicked because I wasn't accelerating fast enough to merge with traffic. I expected to sprout gray hairs driving that gutless wonder. And to add insult to injury, my actual gas mileage was 21-22mpg--and that was with mostly highway driving. :(

Oh another thing that is interesting, is looking up real-world gas mileage figures on a different vehicle and calculating how much it would be different per year. I've done some calculations, and for a more economical vehicle that I would consider, I would save about $300-$360/year. Considering how much less fun I'd have in that more economical vehicle, I figured I'd pay the extra bucks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I really hate to say this but if you are considering gas milage try a newer civic si. My friend got around 35 miles per gallon with mixed driving and the sky/solstice is claiming around 22-28 miles per gallon

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
GM Kid said:
So . . . you don't like the Saturn badge either?
Meh. It's not as repulsive as the hideous red wedgie, but no. And the Opel GT is the exact same car.

The Red Wedgie is just embarrassing. Saturn is just boring.

Nice looking little car, though. Way prettier than the Solstice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Groucho said:
Meh. It's not as repulsive as the hideous red wedgie, but no. And the Opel GT is the exact same car.

The Red Wedgie is just embarrassing. Saturn is just boring.

Nice looking little car, though. Way prettier than the Solstice.
:agree But Saturn needed a boost from the door wedges they were selling for years. When I first saw the car, I kept thinking "pretty as hell, but it's a Saturn." Now that I see what GM used to be, a powerhouse, to what the are now, struggling, I feel that whatever they can do to improve their position should be applauded. Besides, I saw what Lingenfelter I beleive did with a Soltice. Dropped a 'Vette engine in one and damn near outperformed the 'Vette! Badge it American. Maybe it'll save a few jobs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
criminally_sane said:
:agree But Saturn needed a boost from the door wedges they were selling for years. When I first saw the car, I kept thinking "pretty as hell, but it's a Saturn." Now that I see what GM used to be, a powerhouse, to what the are now, struggling, I feel that whatever they can do to improve their position should be applauded. Besides, I saw what Lingenfelter I beleive did with a Soltice. Dropped a 'Vette engine in one and damn near outperformed the 'Vette! Badge it American. Maybe it'll save a few jobs.
yeah i saw the Lingenfelter Soltice, it was, actually still is at the NY auto show. Pitty it was just sitting there, would of like them to turn it on but it looked sick though.
It's good to see GM trying to head in the right direction with the soltice and Sky even though there are still some boring people working there drawing average cars and trucks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.