Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first wave from another GTO owner this morning:party:

This was only the second day with the goat and I already got a wave. I for one will make sure I wave to all GTO owners. This was a nice little "feature" of owning a corvette. I always enjoyed throwing a quick wave whenever I saw another vette. But there is no reason why we can't do this for the GTO too. We all have a very unique car. One that will never be around again in this form. If it does come back, I am sure it will be VERY similar to the new camaro and not be as unique as the current GTO. So let's all make an effort to keep our small GTO family close--:seeya:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well if I ever see another GTO I'll wave at them.
I've had mine for about a month now and I haven't seen another GTO.
I don't recall ever seeing one before I bought my GTO either, but I wasn't really looking.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BARONGTO said:
I Came From A 2000 Vette Coupe And A 2001 Zo6. The Wave Is A Great Part Of Vette Ownership. No Reason Why We Can't Enjoy It As Well!!

:agree

Exactly my point. If anything, we should be more fanatical about our cars since they are a bit more "rare".

·
Registered
116 Posts
The biggest "wavers" is the motorcycle community. Sportbike, cruiser, chopper it didn't matter. Second to that is the Miata people. I have been a part of both of these and it's nice when your going down the road and get a wave. So if your in Miami and see a cyclone gray 06 wave at you, it's me. Lets keep it going.

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
RICKGTO said:
The biggest "wavers" is the motorcycle community. Sportbike, cruiser, chopper it didn't matter. Second to that is the Miata people. I have been a part of both of these and it's nice when your going down the road and get a wave. So if your in Miami and see a cyclone gray 06 wave at you, it's me. Lets keep it going.
You know, I've never seen Miata drivers wave at each other. Granted, I've never owned or ridden in a Miata so my experience is limited. But the cars are common enough that often the section of road I'm on will have multiple Miatas at once. And since they usually drive with the top down, it is easy to see if they did wave or not.

Bikers are definately big in the wave. I find that most bikers that wave tend to ride "classic" style bikes. Forgive me, but I don't know the technical classification of motorcycles. I do see that from my non-educated observations, there appear to be 2 major categories of motorcyles. One category, that I call classic, has more rounded body parts and often lots of chrome. Harleys and Indians are usually in this category, though I've seen some Hondas too. Sometimes you'll see these turned into choppers (I know those are the bikes with the long handlebars and extended fronts) and sometimes with a side cart. The second main category of motorcycles is often Kawasakis or others with more angular lines and bright colors.

I guess there are a few other smaller categories of motorcycles. The ones that look like classic ones but are skinnier in most dimensions. I can't give an example of brand. Also dirt bike motorcycles. And then the large touring motorcycles that people use for long trips--I often think of them as a subclass of classic motorcycles.

BTW, for curiosity's sake, can someone enlighten me on what these different classes of motorcycles are officially called so I can use the right terms, if indeed there is even a classification and I'm not just making up groupings?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm no expert, but here's a quick run-down gleaned from a buddy who's into them.

Cruisers: Harleys, Indians, if you're lucky to find one -- out of business since the '50's, recent try at reviving the name failed after two years. Some Hondas (VTX1800) and Yamahas ("Star" Motorcycles), and new names like "Vengance" fit that category

Choppers & Customs. Based on Harleys, they're pretty much ground-up creations these days. Check out "American Chopper" to see them build them when they're not bickering (father-son's team Orange County Choppers in NY).

Sportbikes: Capable of 200 mph :eek: in some models. They include Honda CBR's (600cc, 1000cc, etc), Yamaha (YZF-R600 and R1 -- again 600cc and 1000cc) and Kawasaki Ninja fit that bill. These bikes rev into the 10,000+ RPM range and are very quick. Street legal racing bikes.

The fastest bike out there at the moment is the Hayabusa GSX1300R by Suzuki. That's 1.3 liters on a bike. Talk about power to weight ratios! I know my buddy used to have a R1, and it was 135 hp, weighing only 600 lbs. Not sure what the Hayabusa produces, but top speed is over 200 mph. There are no software limits to either. If you have the ba!!s, and you have a long enough, straight enough road, you could do it.

Other classes include motorcross, and something of a crossover.

No doubt there are plenty more to consider. And others may also give better definitions.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. It's something that I've wondered about vaguely in the back of my mind, but when I started posting earlier in this thread, I got sidetracked on it :D

That Hayabusa sounds pretty wicked. That's more engine than a Metro! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.