Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the SCCA Runoffs this past weekend at Mid-Ohio. In Touring2, a realitively stock class there was an 05 GTO from Arkansas. He qualified 28, got as high as 12th then there was an incident. He finished 20th. This car sounded fabulous and was going great. It seems that the GTO may be a good track car but I know nothing about what mods other than wheels and tires he may have done.
I'll post pictures in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Don said:
I went to the SCCA Runoffs this past weekend at Mid-Ohio. In Touring2, a realitively stock class there was an 05 GTO from Arkansas. He qualified 28, got as high as 12th then there was an incident. He finished 20th. This car sounded fabulous and was going great. It seems that the GTO may be a good track car but I know nothing about what mods other than wheels and tires he may have done.
I'll post pictures in a couple of days.
It is my dream to be able to campaign a GTO in the NASA American Iron series...whee!

It just take cubic money!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Don,
I didn't do much racing this year as I was in training for most of the year and unfortunately wasn't able to participate in or watch the Runoffs this year. I ran in the T1 class at the Runoffs in 03 and 04, finishing 6th in 03 and 16th in 04 (after starting 31st due to having to replace a motor and missing qualifying).

For those that haven't gone, in my opinion, the Runoffs are about the most entertaining racing you can watch these days. 24 different classes running about 40 minute Sprint races over the course of three days (Fri-Sun). The winner take all format for the coveted title of National Champion results in some pretty aggressive driving out there.

I did run four races early this year to keep my license active, but didn't see any GTOs in T2 yet. In general, the touring classes are very limited in the modifications allowed. You can see the mods to my 02 Z06 here: 2002 SCCA Touring One Z06

Hope you had a good time at the Runoffs. :cheers

·
Registered
259 Posts
I too missed the run-offs. I am wondering if they will change the classification of the GTO's next year. Am surprised that they aren't classified in the same class as the Cobra's. Even though stock for stock GTO's have more HP.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ouijaguy said:
How can i get into that? also, Subdriver, what is the best AMSOIL to go with in my 05?
Get into what, the SCCA Touring 2 class or NASA? While I haven't raced with NASA, I know a little about them.

In either case, the way to get started is to join the club, www.scca.com, read the SCCA's monthly magazine and get a feel for the classes, and go watch some events, particularly the Club Racing Regionals which is the entry level amateur circuit for the SCCA. I went to four races and watched, talked to the drivers, looked at all the cars, before deciding to go the T1 route in my Vette. I also looked very hard at three other classes, Spec Miata, Spec Racer Ford, and Formula Mazda. Finally decided on T1 for what a fellow driver of mine calls "curb appeal". People can associate with the street stock based classes such as T1 or T2 (and this year the SCCA started T3). I also did several professional driving schools (Jim Russell, Skip Barber and Paul Winfield to short circuit my way to my license).

On the SCCA's website, click on the Club Racing button on the left, then the Go Racing button and they cover most of these steps in detail.

AMSOIL Products I recommend for the 05 GTO:
Oil:
AMSOIL makes three grades of oils that are all excellent choices for the GTO. Which one you use comes down almost to differences in driving style and usage and personal preference on oil change intervals.
AMSOIL's best oil is the AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 which is a PAO based synthetic with very high levels of anti-wear additives. Your engine will perform best with this oil, and thus, this is the one I use in my Corvette. However, it is also the most expensive of the three.

The next tier, the AMSOIL SAE Synthetic 5w30, also a PAO based synthetic, has slightly lower levels of additives, though still far exceeding that of other oils on the market. This oil is actually rated by AMSOIL for 25,000 miles or one year of use. I would recommend this oil for those who are following the oil life monitor and want additional piece of mind that they have an oil that will go that long, without the extra cost of the high performance Series 2000 0w30.

The least expensive tier, the AMSOIL XL Synthetic 5w30, is a group III, or highly refined petroleum based synthetic, similar to Castrol Syntec, but with a very robust additive package. This oil is applicable to those who are more comfortable with a petroleum vice true synthetic base stock. This oil is rated by AMSOIL for use with GM oil life monitoring systems. I use this oil in my wife's LSX block motor (5.3L V-8) and have been following her oil life monitor from day one. Her typical oil change interval is 8,000-9,000 miles.

Oil Filter: SDF32
AMSOIL SDF Oil Filter

Tranny Fluid:
AMSOIL ATF (this is a Dexron III fluid suitable for the manual or auto - I use this in my Z06 MN12 gearbox)

Diff Fluid:
AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w140

AMSOIL Ordering Information
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program
:cheers

I too missed the run-offs. I am wondering if they will change the classification of the GTO's next year. Am surprised that they aren't classified in the same class as the Cobra's. Even though stock for stock GTO's have more HP.
Isn't the Cobra still classed in T1? I know a guy that campaigned a Cobra in the Midwest Division with me in 2004 in T1. The Cobra was way too heavy and had serious issues with handling and cooling to be competitive in T1. He gave up on it this year from my understanding. GTO's seem like they would have a tough time even in T2 against the lighter cars like the 350Z, Neon SRT4, etc. I'm looking forward to watching the coverage on SPEED in November for these races. Last years T2 race was one of the best races I have seen in my life (saw that one live). :cheers

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah... the Cobra is specified as a T1 in the touring category. Yet the STS-V is aT2?

I agree the Cobra is too heavy for the T1 class and would compete better in the T2 with the STS-V. But then you have to take the 350Z and Neon's and place them in T3. Oh well, just my opinion.

As for the Solo Rules, the AS Class has the Cobra, Firebird WS6, Camaro SS but no GTO??? WTF????

GTO is listed as FS with the Base V8 Camaro, Mach 1, and Base Firebird V8, Trans Am turbo V6???

I am cofused, and find it hard to believe that a 400HP GTO with Independent Suspension is not in the same class as a 390HP Cobra with Independent Suspension.

As for the Oil, I just switched to Torco in my Diff, Tranny and Engine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Solo FS includes Z28 Cameros as well as Mach 1 Mustangs, I've run against a Z28 Camero in the South Bend Region. He kicks my butt , he has been doing it a lot longer and has done some FS legal Mods.
The SVT Cobra Mustang is AS

·
Registered
364 Posts
ouijaguy said:
WOW Subdriver...thanks for all that info! What else do you know? Where do babies come from?!
:lol:
Let me do some research and I'll get back to you on the babies thing... :eek:

ouijaguy said:
This has been very helpful! I have Syncromesh in my tranny now, is that ok to go with?
My pleasure. I know of lots of guys who run synchromesh in their M6 trannies with no apparent issues, so you should be fine with that. AMSOIL recently came out with a synchromesh fluid, and while it doesn't meet Dexron III requirements, my Z06 isn't under warranty and I'm considering switching to that and giving it a try.

I am cofused, and find it hard to believe that a 400HP GTO with Independent Suspension is not in the same class as a 390HP Cobra with Independent Suspension.
I agree with you. I know the SCCA does their best to ensure fair groupings, but sometimes it seems there are some weird pairings. I personally really like the stock based classes and would rather see the SCCA dump some of the GT classes, combine SSB and SSC into Touring and come away with T1-T5 so the groupings could be fairer. :cheers

·
Registered
259 Posts
Subdriver said:
I personally really like the stock based classes and would rather see the SCCA dump some of the GT classes, combine SSB and SSC into Touring and come away with T1-T5 so the groupings could be fairer. :cheers
Now that is a good idea...
:cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.