Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that as the weather has been getting colder, my car has been making horrible screeching sounds at slow speed when car bounces up or down I suppose. Is it this because of the ball joints needing to be replaced? My mechanic made mention of it and I just wanted to get an idea for what is common with this car. 1971 Lemans 350.

Of note, I have air shocks in the rear.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've noticed that as the weather has been getting colder, my car has been making horrible screeching sounds at slow speed when car bounces up or down I suppose. Is it this because of the ball joints needing to be replaced? My mechanic made mention of it and I just wanted to get an idea for what is common with this car. 1971 Lemans 350.

Of note, I have air shocks in the rear.
check your upper control arm bushings first. then lower. ball joints could squeek if you never grease them but i doubt thats it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks guys, will check it out.
even if the bushings look good make sure you check for tightness. there is an inner metal collar that rides on the cross shaft. that collar is supposed to be clamped tight to the shaft so it doesnt move by the end bolts. the arm movement is supposed to be just the rubber flexing. if that collar is loose and rides on the shaft it is a metal to metal contact and creates a nasty squeak. sometimes you can just tighten those endbolts and stop the squeak.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Also, check the sway bar bushings. The poly bushings on my '65 groan like mad if they're not sprayed with graphite......In my experience, ball joints clunk and snap when they're worn....they don't squeak. I agree with the other guys: rubber a-arm bushings or sway bar bushings. Check the lower a-arm bushings, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts